Bladder cancer historical perspective
Bladder cancer Microchapters
Bladder cancer historical perspective On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Bladder cancer historical perspective
Association between bladder cancer and environmental carcinogens is first discovered in 1895. First cystectomy is performed as a treatment for bladder cancer in in 1877. Radium is first used as a treatment of bladder tumors in 1903. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy including methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (MVAC) is first described in 1985. FDA approved the use of live bacterium, Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) for treatment and prevent the recurrence of superficial tumors in 1990.
- Cystoscope was first discovered by Maximilian Nitze, a German urologist, in 1877.
- Association between bladder cancer and environmental carcinogens is first discovered in 1895.
- Urine cytology is first described in 1945.
- Micropapillary bladder cancer is first described in 1982.
- Approximately 356,000 new bladder cancer cases of bladder cancer are reported in 2002 worldwide.
Landmark Events in the Development of Treatment Strategies
- First cystectomy is performed as a treatment for bladder cancer in in 1877.
- Radium is first used as a treatment of bladder tumors in 1903.
- Early bladder removal surgery includes removing the bladder (cystectomy) and surrounding tissue where cancer is most likely to spread is performed in 1956.
- FDA approves the first chemotherapy drug cisplatin for treatment of bladder tumors in 1978.
- Reconstructive bladder surgery in introduced in 1980-1985.
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy including methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (MVAC) is first described in 1985.
- Intravesical chemotherapy using mitomycin to reduce risk of bladder cancer's recurrence is discovered in 1988.
- FDA approved the use of live bacterium, bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) for treatment and prevent the recurrence of superficial tumors in 1990.
- New chemotherapy combination regimen including gemcitabine with cisplatin is introduced as more effective with less side effects compare to MVAC therapy in 2000.
- New technology that helps to detect cancerous tumors in the bladder that are invisible to the naked eye is discovered in 2016.
- Wood JW, Casiano RR (2012). "Inverted papillomas and benign nonneoplastic lesions of the nasal cavity". Am J Rhinol Allergy. 26 (2): 157–63. doi:10.2500/ajra.2012.26.3732. PMC 3906506. PMID 22487294.
- Griffiths, T. R. L. (2013). "Current perspectives in bladder cancer management". International Journal of Clinical Practice. 67 (5): 435–448. doi:10.1111/ijcp.12075. ISSN 1368-5031.
- Heudel, Pierre; El Karak, Fadi; Ismaili, Nabil; Droz, Jean-Pierre; Flechon, Aude (2009). "Micropapillary bladder cancer: a review of Léon Bérard Cancer Center experience". BMC Urology. 9 (1). doi:10.1186/1471-2490-9-5. ISSN 1471-2490.
- Ploeg M, Aben KK, Kiemeney LA (June 2009). "The present and future burden of urinary bladder cancer in the world". World J Urol. 27 (3): 289–93. doi:10.1007/s00345-009-0383-3. PMC 2694323. PMID 19219610.
- LENZ M, CAHILL GF (October 1947). "The treatment of cancer of the bladder by radium needles". Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther. 58 (4): 486–92. PMID 20273482.
- Balar A, Bajorin DF, Milowsky MI (June 2011). "Management of invasive bladder cancer in patients who are not candidates for or decline cystectomy". Ther Adv Urol. 3 (3): 107–17. doi:10.1177/1756287211407543. PMC 3159398. PMID 21904567.
- Sagaster P, Flamm J, Flamm M, Mayer A, Donner G, Oberleitner S, Havelec L, Lepsinger L, Ludwig H (July 1996). "Neoadjuvant chemotherapy (MVAC) in locally invasive bladder cancer". Eur. J. Cancer. 32A (8): 1320–4. PMID 8869093.
- Porten SP, Leapman MS, Greene KL (2015). "Intravesical chemotherapy in non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer". Indian J Urol. 31 (4): 297–303. doi:10.4103/0970-1591.166446. PMC 4626913. PMID 26604440.
- Askeland EJ, Newton MR, O'Donnell MA, Luo Y (2012). "Bladder Cancer Immunotherapy: BCG and Beyond". Adv Urol. 2012: 181987. doi:10.1155/2012/181987. PMC 3388311. PMID 22778725.
- Als AB, Sengelov L, Von Der Maase H (2008). "Gemcitabine and cisplatin in locally advanced and metastatic bladder cancer; 3- or 4-week schedule?". Acta Oncol. 47 (1): 110–9. doi:10.1080/02841860701499382. PMID 17851853.