Bone morphogenetic protein 8B
The protein encoded by this gene is a member of the TGF-β superfamily. It has close sequence homology to BMP7 and BMP5 and is believed to play a role in bone and cartilage development. It has been shown to be expressed in the hippocampus of murine embryos.
The bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) are a family of secreted signaling molecules that can induce ectopic bone growth. Many BMPs are part of the transforming growth factor-beta (TGFB) superfamily. BMPs were originally identified by an ability of demineralized bone extract to induce endochondral osteogenesis in vivo in an extraskeletal site. Based on its expression early in embryogenesis, the BMP encoded by this gene has a proposed role in early development. In addition, the fact that this BMP is closely related to BMP5 and BMP7 has led to speculation of possible bone inductive activity.
- Ozkaynak E, Schnegelsberg PN, Jin DF, Clifford GM, Warren FD, Drier EA, Oppermann H (Jan 1993). "Osteogenic protein-2. A new member of the transforming growth factor-beta superfamily expressed early in embryogenesis". J Biol Chem. 267 (35): 25220–7. PMID 1460021.
- DiLeone RJ, King JA, Storm EE, Copeland NG, Jenkins NA, Kingsley DM (Jun 1997). "The Bmp8 gene is expressed in developing skeletal tissue and maps near the Achondroplasia locus on mouse chromosome 4". Genomics. 40 (1): 196–8. doi:10.1006/geno.1996.4533. PMID 9070944.
- "Entrez Gene: BMP8B bone morphogenetic protein 8b (osteogenic protein 2)".
- Gregory SG, Barlow KF, McLay KE, et al. (2006). "The DNA sequence and biological annotation of human chromosome 1". Nature. 441 (7091): 315–21. doi:10.1038/nature04727. PMID 16710414.
- Wen XZ, Akiyama Y, Baylin SB, Yuasa Y (2006). "Frequent epigenetic silencing of the bone morphogenetic protein 2 gene through methylation in gastric carcinomas". Oncogene. 25 (18): 2666–73. doi:10.1038/sj.onc.1209297. PMID 16314833.
- Saito T, Ji G, Shinzawa H, et al. (2004). "Genetic variations in humans associated with differences in the course of hepatitis C". Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 317 (2): 335–41. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2004.03.056. PMID 15063762.
- Strausberg RL, Feingold EA, Grouse LH, et al. (2003). "Generation and initial analysis of more than 15,000 full-length human and mouse cDNA sequences". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 99 (26): 16899–903. doi:10.1073/pnas.242603899. PMC 139241. PMID 12477932.
- Ying Y, Qi X, Zhao GQ (2001). "Induction of primordial germ cells from murine epiblasts by synergistic action of BMP4 and BMP8B signaling pathways". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 98 (14): 7858–62. doi:10.1073/pnas.151242798. PMC 35432. PMID 11427739.
- Ying Y, Liu XM, Marble A, et al. (2000). "Requirement of Bmp8b for the generation of primordial germ cells in the mouse". Mol. Endocrinol. 14 (7): 1053–63. doi:10.1210/mend.14.7.0479. PMID 10894154.
- Auffray C, Behar G, Bois F, et al. (1995). "[IMAGE: molecular integration of the analysis of the human genome and its expression]". Comptes Rendus de l'Académie des Sciences, Série III. 318 (2): 263–72. PMID 7757816.
|This article on a gene on human chromosome 1 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|