Tremor history and symptoms
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Tremor history and symptoms On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Tremor history and symptoms
History and Symptoms
- The majority of patients with tremor have variable associated symptoms, depending on the underlying etiology.
- Mode of Onset, Unilateral or Bilateral
- Type of tremor (resting or action)
- Symmetric or Asymmetric
- Associated signs and symptoms
- Aggravating and relieving factors
- Family history
- Common associated symptoms of essential tremor include:
- Tremor in hands and arms bilaterally
- Symmetric tremors
- Haed nodding
- Aggravated by stress, hands outstretched
- Releived from alcohol
- Other neurologic signs are absent
- Essential tremor is diagnosed according to International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (IPMDS) guidelines:
- Common associated symptoms of Parkinsons Disease include:
- Common associated symptoms of enhanced physiologic tremor include:
Less Common Symptoms
- Stroke: Tremor acute in onset, headache, vertigo, imbalance.
- Orthostatic Tremor: Shaking of legs upon standing, subjective feeling on imbalance and fall. Relieved by sitting down.
- Hyperthyroidism: Postural tremor, weight loss, palpitations, excessive sweating, nervousness, feeling overheated.
- Hypoglycemia:Tremor, sweating, dizziness, hunger, irritability.
- Neuropathic: Tremor, numbness, tingling, weakness
- Panic disorder: Tremor, suffocation, chest tightness, palpitations
- Benzodiazepine withdrawal: Hand tremor, sleep disturbance, irritability, sweating, nausea, difficulty concentrating.
- Bhidayasiri R (2005). "Differential diagnosis of common tremor syndromes". Postgrad Med J. 81 (962): 756–62. doi:10.1136/pgmj.2005.032979. PMC 1743400. PMID 16344298.
- Crawford P, Zimmerman EE (2011). "Differentiation and diagnosis of tremor". Am Fam Physician. 83 (6): 697–702. PMID 21404980.
- Sharma S, Pandey S (2016). "Approach to a tremor patient". Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 19 (4): 433–443. doi:10.4103/0972-2327.194409. PMC 5144461. PMID 27994349.
- Bhatia KP, Bain P, Bajaj N, Elble RJ, Hallett M, Louis ED; et al. (2018). "Consensus Statement on the classification of tremors. from the task force on tremor of the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society". Mov Disord. 33 (1): 75–87. doi:10.1002/mds.27121. PMC 6530552 Check
|pmc=value (help). PMID 29193359.
- Smaga S (2003). "Tremor". Am Fam Physician. 68 (8): 1545–52. PMID 14596441.