Sjögren's syndrome epidemiology and demographics
Sjögren's syndrome Microchapters
Sjögren's syndrome epidemiology and demographics On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Sjögren's syndrome epidemiology and demographics
The incidence of Sjögren's syndrome is approximately 4 per 100,000 individuals worldwide. The prevalence of Sjögren's syndrome is approximately 43 per 100,000 individuals worldwide. The mortality rate of Sjögren's syndrome is approximately 1.38. Female are more commonly affected by Sjögren's syndrome than male. The majority of Sjögren's syndrome cases are reported in China, Japan, and California.
Epidemiology and Demographics
Case-fatality rate/Mortality rate
- It can occur at any age, but the mean age is usually in the 4th to 5th decade.
- There is no racial predilection to Sjögren's syndrome.
- Female are more commonly affected by Sjögren's syndrome than male. The female to male ratio is approximately 9 to 1.
- The majority of Sjögren's syndrome cases are reported in China, Japan, and California.
- Pillemer SR, Matteson EL, Jacobsson LT, Martens PB, Melton LJ, O'Fallon WM, Fox PC (June 2001). "Incidence of physician-diagnosed primary Sjögren syndrome in residents of Olmsted County, Minnesota". Mayo Clin. Proc. 76 (6): 593–9. doi:10.4065/76.6.593. PMID 11393497.
- Maldini C, Seror R, Fain O, Dhote R, Amoura Z, De Bandt M, Delassus JL, Falgarone G, Guillevin L, Le Guern V, Lhote F, Meyer O, Ramanoelina J, Sacré K, Uzunhan Y, Leroux JL, Mariette X, Mahr A (March 2014). "Epidemiology of primary Sjögren's syndrome in a French multiracial/multiethnic area". Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 66 (3): 454–63. doi:10.1002/acr.22115. PMID 23983119.
- Qin B, Wang J, Yang Z, Yang M, Ma N, Huang F, Zhong R (November 2015). "Epidemiology of primary Sjögren's syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis". Ann. Rheum. Dis. 74 (11): 1983–9. doi:10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-205375. PMID 24938285.
- Thomas E, Hay EM, Hajeer A, Silman AJ (October 1998). "Sjögren's syndrome: a community-based study of prevalence and impact". Br. J. Rheumatol. 37 (10): 1069–76. PMID 9825745.
- Singh AG, Singh S, Matteson EL (March 2016). "Rate, risk factors and causes of mortality in patients with Sjögren's syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies". Rheumatology (Oxford). 55 (3): 450–60. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/kev354. PMC 5009445. PMID 26412810.
- Patel R, Shahane A (2014). "The epidemiology of Sjögren's syndrome". Clin Epidemiol. 6: 247–55. doi:10.2147/CLEP.S47399. PMC 4122257. PMID 25114590.
- Kang HI, Fei HM, Saito I, Sawada S, Chen SL, Yi D, Chan E, Peebles C, Bugawan TL, Erlich HA (April 1993). "Comparison of HLA class II genes in Caucasoid, Chinese, and Japanese patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome". J. Immunol. 150 (8 Pt 1): 3615–23. PMID 8468491.