Restless legs syndrome natural history, complications and prognosis
Restless legs syndrome Microchapters
Restless legs syndrome natural history, complications and prognosis On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Restless legs syndrome natural history, complications and prognosis
If left untreated, [#]% of patients with [disease name] may progress to develop [manifestation 1], [manifestation 2], and [manifestation 3].
Common complications of [disease name] include [complication 1], [complication 2], and [complication 3].
Prognosis is generally excellent/good/poor, and the 1/5/10-year mortality/survival rate of patients with [disease name] is approximately [#]%.
Natural History, Complications, and Prognosis
- The symptoms of restless leg syndrome usually develop in the elderly patients, and start with symptoms such as Urge to move the legs and Uncomfortable and bothersome sensations in the affected limbs.
- Complication of untreated restless leg syndrome are more prominent among children:
- Common complications of restless leg syndrome in children include:
- Men with RLS had a higher overall mortality and this association was independent of known risk factors.
- Women with RLS has a higher cardiovascular mortality rate.
- mortality in end-stage renal disease patients is not influenced by concomitant RLS.
- Bogan RK, Cheray JA (2013). "Restless legs syndrome: a review of diagnosis and management in primary care". Postgrad Med. 125 (3): 99–111. doi:10.3810/pgm.2013.05.2636. PMID 23748511.
- Karroum EG, Golmard JL, Leu-Semenescu S, Arnulf I (2015). "Painful restless legs syndrome: a severe, burning form of the disease". Clin J Pain. 31 (5): 459–66. doi:10.1097/AJP.0000000000000133. PMID 25167326.
- Rulong G, Dye T, Simakajornboon N (2018). "Pharmacological Management of Restless Legs Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder in Children". Paediatr Drugs. 20 (1): 9–17. doi:10.1007/s40272-017-0262-0. PMID 28831753.
- Facheris MF, Hicks AA, Pramstaller PP, Pichler I (2010). "Update on the management of restless legs syndrome: existing and emerging treatment options". Nat Sci Sleep. 2: 199–212. doi:10.2147/NSS.S6946. PMC 3630948. PMID 23616710.
- Li Y, Wang W, Winkelman JW, Malhotra A, Ma J, Gao X (2013). "Prospective study of restless legs syndrome and mortality among men". Neurology. 81 (1): 52–9. doi:10.1212/WNL.0b013e318297eee0. PMC 3770202. PMID 23761622.
- Li Y, Li Y, Winkelman JW, Walters AS, Han J, Hu FB; et al. (2018). "Prospective study of restless legs syndrome and total and cardiovascular mortality among women". Neurology. 90 (2): e135–e141. doi:10.1212/WNL.0000000000004814. PMC 5772151. PMID 29247069.
- Baiardi S, Mondini S, Baldi Antognini A, Santoro A, Cirignotta F (2017). "Survival of Dialysis Patients with Restless Legs Syndrome: A 15-Year Follow-Up Study". Am J Nephrol. 46 (3): 224–230. doi:10.1159/000479938. PMID 28869939.