Barrett's esophagus screening
Barrett's Esophagus Microchapters
Barrett's esophagus screening On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Barrett's esophagus screening
Risk calculators and risk factors for Barrett's esophagus screening
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. ; Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief: Amresh Kumar MD 
Barrett's esophagus is a major risk factor for development of esophageal adenocarcinoma. After diagnosis, regular surveillance is needed based on the grade of dysplasia. Screening for barrett's esophagus is strongly recommended with multiple risk factors for esophageal adenocarcinoma include: Age > 50 years old, male, white, chronic GERD, hiatal hernia, elevated BMI (body mass index), and intra-abdominal distribution of body fat. Screening is weakly recommended in general population with GERD and no risk factors.
Barrett's esophagus is a major risk factor for development of esophageal adenocarcinoma. After diagnosis, regular surveillance is needed based on the grade of dysplasia.
Screening for barrett's esophagus is strongly recommended in:
- Age > 50 years old
- Chronic GERD
- hiatal hernia
- Elevated BMI (body mass index)
- Intra-abdominal distribution of body fat
Screening is weakly recommended due to moderate-quality evidence:
- Endoscopic surveillance in patients with Barrett's esophagus is recommended within the following intervals:
- ↑ Drewitz DJ, Sampliner RE, Garewal HS (1997). "The incidence of adenocarcinoma in Barrett's esophagus: a prospective study of 170 patients followed 4.8 years". Am J Gastroenterol. 92 (2): 212–5. PMID 9040193.
- ↑ Eckardt VF, Kanzler G, Bernhard G (2001). "Life expectancy and cancer risk in patients with Barrett's esophagus: a prospective controlled investigation". Am J Med. 111 (1): 33–7. PMID 11448658.
- ↑ Rastogi A, Puli S, El-Serag HB, Bansal A, Wani S, Sharma P (2008). "Incidence of esophageal adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett's esophagus and high-grade dysplasia: a meta-analysis". Gastrointest Endosc. 67 (3): 394–8. doi:10.1016/j.gie.2007.07.019. PMID 18045592.
- ↑ Sharma P, Falk GW, Weston AP, Reker D, Johnston M, Sampliner RE (2006). "Dysplasia and cancer in a large multicenter cohort of patients with Barrett's esophagus". Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 4 (5): 566–72. doi:10.1016/j.cgh.2006.03.001. PMID 16630761.
- ↑ Desai TK, Krishnan K, Samala N, Singh J, Cluley J, Perla S; et al. (2012). "The incidence of oesophageal adenocarcinoma in non-dysplastic Barrett's oesophagus: a meta-analysis". Gut. 61 (7): 970–6. doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2011-300730. PMID 21997553.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Spechler SJ, Sharma P, Souza RF, Inadomi JM, Shaheen NJ (2011). "American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement on the management of Barrett's esophagus". Gastroenterology. 140 (3): 1084–91. Unknown parameter