Papillary thyroid cancer natural history, complications and prognosis
Papillary thyroid cancer Microchapters
Papillary thyroid cancer natural history, complications and prognosis On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Papillary thyroid cancer natural history, complications and prognosis
If left untreated, patients with papillary thyroid cancer may progress to develop metastasis. Common complications of papillary thyroid cancer include vocal cord compression, dysphagia, and dyspnea. The presence of metastasis is associated with a particularly poor prognosis among patients with papillary thyroid cancer. The 10-year survival rate papillary thyroid cancer is 99%.
- The symptoms of papillary thyroid cancer usually develop in the third or fourth decade of life and start with symptoms such as a painless lump in the neck.
- Without treatment, the patient will develop symptoms of compression and metastasis, which may be fatal.
- Complications of papillary thyroid cancer include:
- Prognosis is generally excellent, and the 10-year relative survival rate of patients with papillary thyroid cancer is approximately 99%.
- Prognosis of patients with papillary thyroid cancer depends on the following features:
5 year Relative Survival Rate
- 5-year relative survival rate of papillary thyroid cancer depends on the invasion of the tumor at the time of diagnosis.
- Localized tumor: 100%
- Tumor with regional metastasis: 100%
- Tumor with distant metastasis: 78%
- Randolph GW, Duh QY, Heller KS, LiVolsi VA, Mandel SJ, Steward DL, Tufano RP, Tuttle RM (November 2012). "The prognostic significance of nodal metastases from papillary thyroid carcinoma can be stratified based on the size and number of metastatic lymph nodes, as well as the presence of extranodal extension". Thyroid. 22 (11): 1144–52. doi:10.1089/thy.2012.0043. PMID 23083442.
- "Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2014 - SEER Statistics".
- Haymart, M. R. (2009). "Understanding the Relationship Between Age and Thyroid Cancer". The Oncologist. 14 (3): 216–221. doi:10.1634/theoncologist.2008-0194. ISSN 1083-7159.
- McCONAHEY, WILLIAM M.; Hay, Ian D.; Woolner, Lewis B.; van HEERDEN, JON A.; Taylor, William F. (1986). "Papillary Thyroid Cancer Treated at the Mayo Clinic, 1946 Through 1970: Initial Manifestations, Pathologic Findings, Therapy, and Outcome". Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 61 (12): 978–996. doi:10.1016/S0025-6196(12)62641-X. ISSN 0025-6196.
- "Survival Rates for Thyroid Cancer".