Aspiration pneumonia classification
Aspiration pneumonia Microchapters
Aspiration pneumonia classification On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Aspiration pneumonia classification
Aspiration pneumonia is a part of aspiration syndrome which is consist of four classes depending on nature of aspirated substance including foreign body aspiration, chemical pneumonitis, bacterial infection, and lipid pneumonia. Aspiration pneumonia, depending on the duration of systems might be classified into two groups of acute and chronic.
- Aspiration pneumonia is one class of aspiration syndrome.
- Aspiration syndrome consists of four classes depending on nature of aspirated substance. Following are the four classes of aspiration syndrome:
|Classification of aspiration syndrome|
|Classes||Substance involved||Risk factor||Mechanism of damdage|
|Mechanical obstruction||Foreign body||Childhood||Traumatic|
|Chemical pneumonitis||Gastric contents||Decreased level of consciousness||Corrosive effect of acid on respiratory tract|
|Bacterial infection||Oral cavity bacterial flora||Dysphagia, elderly age||Similar to community acquired pneumonia|
|Lipid pneumonia||Oil||Childhood||Macrophages engulf lipid substances lining pulmonary tree|
- Aspiration pneumonia, depending on the duration of systems might be classified into two groups:
- Acute aspiration pneumonitis
- Chronic aspiration pneumonia