Abdelrahman Ibrahim Abushouk
Abdelrahman I. Abushouk, MD I Email: Aabushou@bidmc.harvard.edu
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBCh), Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt. I officially graduated with Excellence with Honors in June 2016 (Among top Class Graduates; Summa Cum Laude).
- Research Fellow at PERFUSE Study Group, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
- Associate Editor-in-Chief at WikiDoc Foundation (WikiDoc.org)
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine (Cardio-Oncology Section), Frontiers Publishers, Switzerland.
- My research has shown the value of iFR and MD-CT in the assessment of challenging coronary lesions (bifurcation and chronic total occlusion).
- Our research established the non-inferiority of TAVR to SAVR in low-to-moderate risk patients with aortic stenosis and compared the outcomes of different valves.
- In cardio-oncology, we assessed the burden of cardiac tumors, cancer-related cardiac death, and effects of cancer on PCI outcomes.
- Through basic research, we uncovered the value of some therapeutics as diosmin, fucoidan, metformin, and telmisartan in preventing chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity.
- Research cited in 14 national/international guidelines, drug updates, and state policies.
- Overall, my research was cited > 1000 times according to Google Scholar (h-index: 19) and 700 times according to Scopus Database (h-index: 14).
- More than 30 papers listed by the NICE Guidelines website as reliable sources of evidence.
- Research covered in Scientific American and Atlas of Science magazine.
Awards, Grants, and Scholarships
- Nominee for Fulbright Award 2018 - Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt, Cairo, Egypt
- Excellence and Scholastic Outstanding Achievement Award (For ranking among the top students in my Bachelor Degree Class), Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt (March 2016).
- Publons Peer Review Awards (Publons – Clarivate Analytics®): In 2018 and 2019 in the fields of Clinical Medicine (Global rank: 2) and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Global rank: 22).
- Best Poster Presentation Award - American College of Cardiology Conference (Sep, 2017, Riyadh, KSA); 5000 USD and the abstract is published under the Best Posters Section of JACC.
- Young Investigator Award - 11th World Stroke Congress 2018, World Stroke Federation (Montreal, Canada). The abstract is now published in the International Journal of Stroke.
- IBRO Full Scholarships (travel, accommodation and training) on immunohistochemistry and confocal microscopy (Cape Town University, SA & Mohamed V University, Morocco).
- Outcomes of Direct Flow Medical vs Sapien 3 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Devices. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2019. PMID: 31848880.
- Temporal trends, ethnic determinants, and short-term and long-term risk of cardiac death in cancer patients: a cohort study. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2019. PMID: 31494524.
- Characteristics, survival and incidence rates and trends of primary cardiac malignancies in the United States. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2018. PMID: 29414429.
- Risk and survival of chronic myeloid leukemia after breast cancer: A population-based study. Curr Probl Cancer. 2019. PMID: 30195804.
- Diagnostic accuracy of multi-slice computed tomography in identifying lesion characteristics in coronary total occlusion. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018. PMID: 29948635.
- Physiological evaluation of the provisional side-branch intervention strategy for bifurcation lesions using instantaneous wave-free ratio. Indian Heart J. 2018. PMID: 30595269.
- Correlation of central venous pressure with venous blood gas analysis parameters; a diagnostic study. J Emerg Med. 2017. PMID: 28345066.
- Awareness of Basic Life Support among Egyptian Medical Students; a Cross-Sectional Study. Emerg. 2018. PMID: 30009238.
- Fib-4 Predicts Early Hematological Adverse Events Induced by Interferon-Based Triple Therapy in Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Patients. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2019. PMID: 30657408.
- Fucoidan alleviates microcystin-LR-induced hepatic, renal, and cardiac oxidative stress and inflammatory injuries in mice. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2019. PMID: 31838672.
- Diosmin Attenuates Methotrexate-Induced Hepatic, Renal, and Cardiac Injury: A Biochemical and Histopathological Study in Mice. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017. PMID: 28819543.
- The effects of abamectin on oxidative stress and gene expression in rat liver and brain tissues: Modulation by sesame oil and ascorbic acid. Sci Total Environ. 2020. PMID: 31739238.
- Antagonistic effects of Spirulina platensis on diazinon-induced hemato-biochemical alterations and oxidative stress in rats. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2018. PMID: 30043347.
- The nephroprotective effects of allicin and ascorbic acid against cisplatin-induced toxicity in rats. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2019. PMID: 30911969.
- Nephroprotective Effects of Benzyl Isothiocyanate and Resveratrol Against Cisplatin-Induced Oxidative Stress and Inflammation. Front Pharmacol. 2018. PMID: 30524274.
- Thymoquinone and diallyl sulfide protect against fipronil-induced oxidative injury in rats. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2018. PMID: 29881965.
- Tobacco smoking in Egypt: a scoping literature review of its epidemiology and control measures. East Mediterr Health J. 2018. PMID: 29748949.
- Mesenchymal stem cells for doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy: Potential mechanisms and implications of heart stem cell debate. Front Pharma. 2019. PMID: 31258475.
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors as therapeutic targets for heart failure. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017. PMID: 28886529.
- Efficacy and safety of transcatheter aortic valve replacement in aortic stenosis patients at low to moderate surgical risk: a meta-analysis. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2017. PMID: 28836953.
- Effects of Telestroke on Thrombolysis Times and Outcomes: A Meta-analysis. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2018. PMID: 29345529.
- Effects of Antioxidant Supplements on the Survival and Differentiation of Stem Cells. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017. PMID: 28770021.
- Regional versus local anesthesia for arteriovenous fistula creation in end-stage renal disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Vasc Access. 2017. PMID: 28478618.
- Cardioprotective mechanisms of phytochemicals against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. Biomed Pharma. 2017. PMID: 28460429.
- Adipokines: Potential Therapeutic Targets for Vascular Dysfunction in Type II Diabetes Mellitus and Obesity. J Diabetes Res. 2017. PMID: 28286779.
- Desmoteplase for Acute Ischemic Stroke: A Systematic Review and Metaanalysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2017. PMID: 27978795.