- S-adenosyl-L-methionine + guanidinoacetate <math>\rightleftharpoons</math> S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + creatine
This enzyme belongs to the family of transferases, specifically those transferring one-carbon group methyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is S-adenosyl-L-methionine:N-guanidinoacetate methyltransferase. Other names in common use include GA methylpherase, guanidinoacetate methyltransferase, guanidinoacetate transmethylase, methionine-guanidinoacetic transmethylase, and guanidoacetate methyltransferase. This enzyme participates in glycine, serine and threonine metabolism and arginine and proline metabolism.
- IUBMB entry for 188.8.131.52
- BRENDA references for 184.108.40.206 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 220.127.116.11
- PubMed Central references for 18.104.22.168
- Google Scholar references for 22.214.171.124
- Cantoni GL and Scarano E (1954). "The formation of S-adenosylhomocysteine in enzymatic transmethylation reactions". J. Am. Chem. Soc. 76: 4744.
- CANTONI GL, VIGNOS PJ Jr (1954). "Enzymatic mechanism of creatine synthesis". J. Biol. Chem. 209: 647–59. PMID 13192118.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 9029-75-8.
Gene Ontology (GO) codes
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies