Lipoid pneumonia primary prevention
Lipoid pneumonia Microchapters
Lipoid pneumonia primary prevention On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Lipoid pneumonia primary prevention
Lipoid pneumonia can be prevented by cessation of underlying cause like E-cigarette smoking or lipid based medications.it is also preventable by preventing aspiration pneumonia. effective measures for the primary prevention of aspiration pneumonia include dietary habit changes, maintaining oral hygiene, postural maneuvers, and medications such as H2 antagonists, metoclopramide, mosapride, amantadine, or cilostazol.
- Effective measures for the primary prevention of lipoid pneumonia include:
- lessening lipid base prescriptions.
- quieting E-cigarette and vaping.
- Bed positioning
- Dietary habit changes such as:
- Eating small meals at a slow pace and consistent
- Elevated position at least 1 to 2 hours after meals
- Elemental diets in bedridden PEG patients
- Good oral hygiene such as:
- Postural maneuvers and swallowing training to improve swallowing difficulties
- Checking feeding tubes regularly to prevent displacement
- Administrating postpyloric feeding than gastric feeding
- Medications such as:
- El Solh AA, Saliba R (December 2007). "Pharmacologic prevention of aspiration pneumonia: a systematic review". Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 5 (4): 352–62. doi:10.1016/j.amjopharm.2007.12.005. PMID 18179994.
- Sarin J, Balasubramaniam R, Corcoran AM, Laudenbach JM, Stoopler ET (February 2008). "Reducing the risk of aspiration pneumonia among elderly patients in long-term care facilities through oral health interventions". J Am Med Dir Assoc. 9 (2): 128–35. doi:10.1016/j.jamda.2007.10.003. PMID 18261707.
- Takatori K, Yoshida R, Horai A, Satake S, Ose T, Kitajima N, Yoneda S, Adachi K, Amano Y, Kinoshita Y (October 2013). "Therapeutic effects of mosapride citrate and lansoprazole for prevention of aspiration pneumonia in patients receiving gastrostomy feeding". J. Gastroenterol. 48 (10): 1105–10. doi:10.1007/s00535-012-0725-6. PMID 23238778.