Lactose intolerance history and symptoms
Lactose Intolerance Microchapters
Lactose intolerance history and symptoms On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Lactose intolerance history and symptoms
Risk calculators and risk factors for Lactose intolerance history and symptoms
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. ; Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief: Mahda Alihashemi M.D. 
A positive history of abdominal pain and bloating after the ingestion of milk-containing products is suggestive of lactose intolerance. Common symptoms of lactose intolerance include abdominal pain, bloating and flatulence. Less common symptoms of lactose intoelrance include nausea, vomiting, and watery diarrhea.
History and Symptoms
- A positive history of abdominal pain and bloating after the ingestion of milk-containing products is suggestive of lactose intolerance.
- Symptoms of lactose intolerance include abdominal pain, bloating, watery diarrhea, borborygmi.
Patients with lactose intolerance may have a positive history of:
Common symptoms of lactose intolerance after ingestion of milk or milk-containing products include:
- Abdominal pain
- In the lower quadrants or the periumbilical area
Less Common Symptoms
Less common symptoms of lactose intolerance include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Watery, frothy and bulky diarrhea
- More seen in children
- Diarrhea is not a predominant symptom in adults
- Memory impairment
- Muscle and joint pains
- Mouth ulcers
- Sore throat
- ↑ Suarez FL, Savaiano DA, Levitt MD (1995). "A comparison of symptoms after the consumption of milk or lactose-hydrolyzed milk by people with self-reported severe lactose intolerance". N. Engl. J. Med. 333 (1): 1–4. doi:10.1056/NEJM199507063330101. PMID 7776987.
- ↑ Szilagyi A (2015). "Adult lactose digestion status and effects on disease". Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 29 (3): 149–56. PMC 4399375. PMID 25855879.
- ↑ Mattar R, de Campos Mazo DF, Carrilho FJ (2012). "Lactose intolerance: diagnosis, genetic, and clinical factors". Clin Exp Gastroenterol. 5: 113–21. doi:10.2147/CEG.S32368. PMC 3401057. PMID 22826639.