Chronic bronchitis epidemiology and demographics
Chronic bronchitis Microchapters
Chronic bronchitis epidemiology and demographics On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Chronic bronchitis epidemiology and demographics
Chronic bronchitis is a part of COPD and its epidemiology is discussed as a sub-group of COPD. COPD occurs in 34 out of 1000 patients greater than 65 years old. In England, an estimated 842,100 of 50 million people have a diagnosis of COPD; translating into approximately one person in 59 receiving a diagnosis of COPD at some point in their lives. In the most socioeconomically deprived parts of the country, one in 32 people were diagnosed with COPD, compared with one in 98 in the most affluent areas. In the United States, the prevalence of COPD is approximately 1 in 20 or 5%, totaling approximately 13.5 million people in USA, or approximately 25 million people if undiagnosed cases are included.
Epidemiology and Demographics
- COPD is the third cause of death in the U.S.
- In 2005, approximately one in 20 deaths in the United States had COPD as the underlying cause.
- Smoking is estimated to be responsible for at least 75% of COPD deaths.
- Chronic bronchitis occurs in old ages especially in persons over 65 years old.
- Hispanics were less likely to report COPD than non-Hispanic whites and blacks (4.0% compared with 6.3% and 6.1%, respectively).
- Chronic bronchitis mortality rates are higher among whites than among blacks or persons of all other races.
- Women were more likely to report COPD than men (6.7% compared to 5.2%).
- Age adjusted death rates of men have decreased between 1999 and 2014 but this rate was stable among women.
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).(2011).https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6146a2.htm Accessed on September 19,2016
- wrongdiagnosis.com > Prevalence and Incidence of COPD Retrieved on Mars 14, 2010
- MORBIDITY & MORTALITY: 2009 CHART BOOK ON CARDIOVASCULAR, LUNG, AND BLOOD DISEASES National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Kenneth D. Kochanek, M.A.; Jiaquan Xu, M.D.; Sherry L. Murphy, B.S.; Arialdi M. Minin˜o, M.P.H.; and Hsiang-Ching Kung, Ph.D., Division of Vital Statistics, Deaths: Final Data for 2009, 2011, 60,National Vital Statistics Reports, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf
- Hogg JC, Chu F, Utokaparch S, Woods R, Elliott WM, Buzatu L, Cherniack RM, Rogers RM, Sciurba FC, Coxson HO, Paré PD (2004). "The nature of small-airway obstruction in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease". N. Engl. J. Med. 350 (26): 2645–53. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa032158. PMID 15215480.