|secretoglobin, family 2A, member 2|
|Locus||Chr. 11 q12.3-q13.1|
SCGB2A2 is a gene located on chromosome 11, at locus 11q13. It codes a protein named « secretoglobin, family 2A, member 2 », according to the official international nomenclature. Other names for the protein are : mammaglobin (MGB, MAM), mammaglobin-1 (MGB1), precursor of mammaglobin-A (MGBA), uteroglobin 2 (UGB2). SCGB2A2 is member of the superfamily of secretoglobins, a group of small dimeric secreted and sometimes glycosylated proteins. Expressed mainly in mucosa, secretoglobins seems to be involved in cell signalling, immune response, chemotaxis, and could also serve as transporters for steroid hormones in humans.
SCGB2A2 and breast cancer
SCGB2A2 expression is highly specific of mammary tissue, and is increasingly used for identification and detection of disseminated breast cancer cells.
- Watson, MA (1996). "Mammaglobin, a mammary-specific member of the uteroglobin gene family, is overexpressed in human breast cancer". Cancer Research. 56: 860–865. PMID 8631025. Unknown parameter
- Klug, J (2000). "Uteroglobin/Clara cell 10-kDa family of proteins: nomenclature committee report". Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 923: 348–354. PMID 11193777. Unknown parameter
- Brown, NM (2006). "Evaluation of expression based markers for the detection of breast cancer cells". Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 97: 41–47. PMID 16319979. Unknown parameter
- Lacroix, M (2006). "Significance, detection and markers of disseminated breast cancer cells". Endocrine-Related Cancer. 13: 1033–1067. PMID 17158753.
- GeneCard for SCGB2A2
- SCGB2A2+protein,+human at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
|40px||This biochemistry article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|