Pulmonary edema historical perspective
Pulmonary edema Microchapters
Pulmonary edema historical perspective On the Web
Pulmonary edema was first described as a result of heart failure by Andreas Nerlich. In 1891 the first case of high altitude pulmonary edema was reported. In 1908, W. T. Shanahan noted acute pulmonary edema as an adverse effect of epileptic seizures.
- Pulmonary edema was first described as a result of heart failure by Andreas Nerlich, a pathologist from Munich, Germany.
- In 1891 the first case of high altitude pulmonary edema was reported.
- In 1913, TH Ravenhill suggested first diagnostic framework for high altitude pulmonary edema.
- In 1908, W. T. Shanahan noted acute pulmonary edema as an adverse effect of epileptic seizures.
- During WWI, francois Moutier noted the sudden onset of pulmonary edema among soldiers shot in the head.
- In the Vietnam War, alveolar edema and hemorrhage seen in the lungs of soldiers dying after isolated bullet head wounds.
Landmark Events in the Development of Treatment Strategies
- In 1953, intra-aortic balloon pumping (IABP) was described by Kantrowitz.
- In 1962, the modern intra-aortic counterpulsation device was described by Moulopoulos et al at the Cleveland Clinic.
- In 1969 intra-aortic balloon pumping (IABP) was first used clinically in a patient with cardiogenic shock.
- Since the 1980s, IABP has been increasingly used in stabilizing patient with cardiogenic pulmonary edema before definitive therapy.
- Bianucci R, Loynes RD, Sutherland ML, Lallo R, Kay GL, Froesch P, Pallen MJ, Charlier P, Nerlich AG (September 2016). "Forensic Analysis Reveals Acute Decompensation of Chronic Heart Failure in a 3500-Year-Old Egyptian Dignitary". J. Forensic Sci. 61 (5): 1378–81. doi:10.1111/1556-4029.13138. PMID 27362779.
- Gensini GF, Conti AA (March 2003). "A historical perspective on high altitude pulmonary edema". Monaldi Arch Chest Dis. 60 (1): 45–7. PMID 12827832.
- Davison DL, Terek M, Chawla LS (December 2012). "Neurogenic pulmonary edema". Crit Care. 16 (2): 212. doi:10.1186/cc11226. PMC 3681357. PMID 22429697.
- Izumida H, Homma K, Sasaki J, Hori S (April 2017). "Pulmonary edema following tonic-clonic seizure". Acute Med Surg. 4 (2): 221–222. doi:10.1002/ams2.251. PMC 5667274. PMID 29123866.
- Simmons RL, Heisterkamp CA, Collins JA, Genslar S, Martin AM (July 1969). "Respiratory insufficiency in combat casualties. 3. Arterial hypoxemia after wounding". Ann. Surg. 170 (1): 45–52. PMC 1387602. PMID 5789529.
- Ali, Jason M.; Abu-Omar, Yasir (2018). "The intra-aortic balloon pump and other methods of mechanical circulatory support". Surgery (Oxford). 36 (2): 68–74. doi:10.1016/j.mpsur.2017.11.002. ISSN 0263-9319.
- MOULOPOULOS SD, TOPAZ S, KOLFF WJ (May 1962). "Diastolic balloon pumping (with carbon dioxide) in the aorta--a mechanical assistance to the failing circulation". Am. Heart J. 63: 669–75. PMID 14476645.