Millennium Development Goals
The Millennium Development Goals derive from earlier OECD 'international development goals', and were officially established at the Millennium Summit in 2000, where 189 world leaders adopted the United Nations Millennium Declaration, from which the eight-goal action plan, the 'Millennium Development Goals', was particularly promoted.
The Millennium Development Goals were originally developed by the OECD and were highlighted out of the eight chapters of the United Nations Millennium Declaration, signed in September 2000. The eight goals that were particularly promoted in the years following the Millennium Summit include:
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Reduce by half the proportion of people living on less than one U.S. dollar a day.
- Reduce by half the proportion of people who suffer from hunger.
- Achieve universal primary education
- Ensure that all boys and girls complete a full course of primary schooling.
- Increased enrollment must be accompanied by efforts to ensure that all children remain in school and receive a high-quality education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015.
- Reduce child mortality
- Reduce the mortality rate among children under five by two thirds.
- Improve maternal health
- Reduce by three quarters the maternal mortality ratio.
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes; reverse loss of environmental resources.
- Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water (for more information see the entry on water supply).
- Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers, by 2020.
- Develop a global partnership for development
- Develop further an open trading and financial system that is rule-based, predictable and non-discriminatory. Includes a commitment to good governance, development and poverty reduction—nationally and internationally.
- Address the least developed countries’ special needs. This includes tariff- and quota-free access for their exports; enhanced debt relief for heavily indebted poor countries; cancellation of official bilateral debt; and more generous official development assistance for countries committed to poverty reduction.
- Address the special needs of landlocked and small island developing States.
- Deal comprehensively with developing countries' debt problems through national and international measures to make debt sustainable in the long term.
- In cooperation with the developing countries, develop decent and productive work for youth.
- In cooperation with pharmaceutical companies, provide access to affordable essential drugs in developing countries.
- Copenhagen Consensus
- International Finance Facility
- 2005 World Summit
- The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis & Malaria
- Global Goods Partners
- Economic development
- Anthony Asael
- Development assistance
- United Nations Millennium Project
- Millennium Promise
- The End of Poverty
- United Nations Millennium Declaration
- The Millennium Goals
- "Are We Making Poverty History?" - OneWorld.net's Perspectives Magazine, August/September 2005
- BBC Summary 2005 of UN Millennium Goals
- Millennium Development Goals Indicators: MDG Dashboard (downloadable database)
- UN Stats Division - MDGs
- Development Gateway Special Report: Aid Harmonization:What Will It Take to Meet the MDGs?
- International Food Policy Research Institute, Annual Report Essay:Agriculture, food security, nutrition and the Millennium Development Goals
- No more Broken Promises? - A plain language guide to the MDGs
- What are the Millennium Development Goals?, Introduction to the MDG written for laypersons.
- 'MDG Scan' to Benchmark Private Contribution Report on a mechanism to evaluate a company's contribution to reach the MDGs - IPS, 27 February 2007
cs:Rozvojové cíle tisíciletí da:2015 Målene de:Millennium-Gipfel eo:Jarmilaj Evoluigaj Celoj id:Tujuan Pembangunan Milenium it:Obiettivi del Millennio per lo sviluppo lv:ANO Tūkstošgades attīstības mērķi nl:Millenniumdoelstellingen no:FNs tusenårsmål sl:Razvojni cilji novega tisočletja sr:Миленијумски циљеви развоја fi:YK:n vuosituhattavoitteet sv:Millenniemålen