A microbiologist is a biologist who works in the field of biology They typically hold either a Bachelor of Science degree or Doctoral degree majoring in microbiology. Microbiologists can be known under different names depending on the field of microbiology they specialize in:
- Bacteriologists - work in the field of bacteriology and study bacteria.
- Environmental Microbiologists - work in the field of environmental science and study microbial processes in the environment.
- Food Microbiologists - work in the food industry and study microorganisms that cause foodborne illness and spoilage.
- Industrial Microbiologists - generally work in field of biotechnology and study microorganisms that produce useful products.
- Medical Microbiologists - medical practitioners (doctors) who have chosen to specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of microbial diseases in patients.
- Mycologists - work in the field of mycology and study fungi.
- Protozoologists - work in the field of protozoology and study protists.
- Virologists - work in the field of virology and study viruses
- Microbial Epidemiologists - study the role of microorganisms in health and illness.