List of psychological research methods
A wide range of research methods are used in psychology.
- Laboratory experiment
- Field experiment
- Quasi experiment
- Observation, can be naturalistic, participant or controlled.
- Case study
- Interview, can be structured or unstructured.
- Statistical survey
- Prospective study, in which a study samples subjects as the experiment progresses. Cf. Retrospective study.
- Retrospective study, in which data is collected on subjects' histories at one time. Cf. Prospective study.
- Longitudinal study, in which subjects are studied over a course of time. Cf. Cross-sectional study.
- Cross-sectional study, in which a snapshot of the population is assumed to represent individuals as they progress through life. See also Longitudinal study.
- Meta analysis
- Content analysis