|Fulbourn Hospital |
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
|Place||Cambridge Cambridgeshire, England, (UK)|
|Care System||Public NHS|
|Affiliated University||University of Cambridge|
|Emergency Dept.||No A&E|
|See also||Hospitals in England|
Fulbourn Hospital, originally known as the Asylum for Cambridgeshire, the Isle of Ely and the Borough of Cambridge at the time of its opening in 1858, is a mental health facility located between Fulbourn and Cherry Hinton.
Until recently the main Victorian building was used as a psychiatric hospital, while the 1960's Kent House to the west was built for acute mental health patients and the Ida Darwin Hospital to the east was developed for the mentally handicapped. The main buildings have now been transformed into a Business Park although some acute facilities remain. From 540 patients at the hospitals in 1981 this has now been considerably reduced, with so many ex-patients being moved into the community.
During the 1960s, Fulbourn Hospital became internationally prominent for its pioneering therapeutic community, under Dr David Clark, who was the last holder of the title of Medical Superintendent, and later Consultant for the Cambridge Psychiatric Rehabilitation Service.
Wards at Fulbourn Hospital
- Adrian House Ward
- Friends Ward
- Burnet House
- No 1 The Drive (closed)
- Cedar House
- George McKenzie House
Older Peoples Services
- David Clarke House
- Denbigh Ward
- James Ward
- Springbank (closed)
- Department of Clinical Psychology
- Social Work Department
- Mental Health Chaplain
- Patients Leisure Centre
- Art Therapies Service
- Physiotherapy Department and Gym
The Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire Primary Care Trusts have been carrying out a public consultation exercise into cost-cutting measures designed to reduce the budget by £3 million. The plan recommends the closure of No 1 The Drive, and The Gatehouse units by the end of March 2006, and Cedars Ward by early 2007.