Dietary inflammatory index
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D.  Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief:
The Dietary inflammatory index (DII) was developed in 2009 to measure the role of inflammation induced by diet and cardiovascular disease. The rationale was based on the association between inflammatory states and cardiovascular disease.
Dietary Inflammatory Index
The components of the Index are listed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2777480/table/tbl2/ with larger scores indicating greater anti-inflammatory effects of foods.
The Index has also been scored for populations.
Association with diseases
The index was associated with cardiovascular disease in the PREDIMED study.
The DII was found to be associated with colorectal cancer in two observational studies, although the significant was only significant in men in one study.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Cavicchia PP, Steck SE, Hurley TG, Hussey JR, Ma Y, Ockene IS; et al. (2009). "A new dietary inflammatory index predicts interval changes in serum high-sensitivity C-reactive protein". J Nutr. 139 (12): 2365–72. doi:10.3945/jn.109.114025. PMC 2777480. PMID 19864399.
- ↑ Hansson GK (2005). "Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease". N Engl J Med. 352 (16): 1685–95. doi:10.1056/NEJMra043430. PMID 15843671.
- ↑ Shivappa N, Steck SE, Hurley TG, Hussey JR, Hébert JR (2014). "Designing and developing a literature-derived, population-based dietary inflammatory index". Public Health Nutr. 17 (8): 1689–96. doi:10.1017/S1368980013002115. PMC 3925198. PMID 23941862.
- ↑ Garcia-Arellano A, Ramallal R, Ruiz-Canela M, Salas-Salvadó J, Corella D, Shivappa N; et al. (2015). "Dietary Inflammatory Index and Incidence of Cardiovascular Disease in the PREDIMED Study". Nutrients. 7 (6): 4124–38. doi:10.3390/nu7064124. PMID 26035241.
- ↑ Shivappa N, Zucchetto A, Montella M, Serraino D, Steck SE, La Vecchia C; et al. (2015). "Inflammatory potential of diet and risk of colorectal cancer: a case-control study from Italy". Br J Nutr: 1–7. doi:10.1017/S0007114515001828. PMID 26050563.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Wirth MD, Shivappa N, Steck SE, Hurley TG, Hébert JR (2015). "The dietary inflammatory index is associated with colorectal cancer in the National Institutes of Health-American Association of Retired Persons Diet and Health Study". Br J Nutr. 113 (11): 1819–27. doi:10.1017/S000711451500104X. PMID 25871645.