In general usage, de novo is a Latin expression meaning 'afresh', 'anew', 'beginning again'. It may refer to:
- De novo synthesis of complex molecules from simple molecules in biochemistry
- Trial de novo, or a new trial in the legal system
- De novo bank, a state bank that has been in operation for five years or less
- In Bioinformatics, de novo is a form of sequencing, as in "de novo peptide sequencing".
- De novo mutation, a genetic mutation that neither parent possessed nor transmitted.
- In Financial terminology, numbers reported by newly founded companies (especially the financial services industry) are qualified as "de novo," to distinguish them from older companies. For example, "growth de novo" means growth of newly started companies.
- In Marketing and Advertising de novo means "again, but in a different way" and is linked to guerrilla and grass roots marketing campaigns.
- Synonym of ex novo
- de novo - anywhere