- ATP + 2 D-alanine ADP + phosphate + D-alanyl-D-alanine
This enzyme belongs to the family of ligases, specifically those forming carbon-nitrogen bonds as acid-D-amino-acid ligases (peptide synthases). The systematic name of this enzyme class is D-alanine:D-alanine ligase (ADP-forming). Other names in common use include MurE synthetase [ambiguous], alanine:alanine ligase (ADP-forming), and alanylalanine synthetase. This enzyme participates in d-alanine metabolism and peptidoglycan biosynthesis. At least one compound, Phosphinate is known to inhibit this enzyme.
- IUBMB entry for 188.8.131.52
- BRENDA references for 184.108.40.206 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 220.127.116.11
- PubMed Central references for 18.104.22.168
- Google Scholar references for 22.214.171.124
- Ito, E and Strominger JL (1962). "Enzymatic synthesis of the peptide in bacterial uridine nucleotides II. Enzymatic synthesis and addition of D-alanyl-D-alanine". J. Biol. Chem. 237: 2696&ndash, 2703.
- Neuhaus FC (1962). "Kinetic studies on D-Ala-D-Ala synthetase". Fed. Proc. 21: 229.
- van Heijenoort J (2001). "Recent advances in the formation of the bacterial peptidoglycan monomer unit". Nat. Prod. Rep. 18: 503&ndash, 19. PMID 11699883.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 9023-63-6.
Gene Ontology (GO) codes