Bursitis classification On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Bursitis classification
Based on the nature of the inflammation, bursitis may classified into two subtypes: septic and aseptic. Common anatomic location include the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and ankle. The most common bursitis subtypes include subacromial, olecranon, trochanteric, prepatellar, and retrocalcaneal. Moreover, based on the location of the affected bursa in relation to the skin, bursitis may be further classified into two additional subtypes: superficial and deep. Superficial bursa are more prone to get infected with bacteria and develop septic bursitis. Common locations of septic bursitis include the knee (prepatellar bursitis) and elbow (olecranon bursitis).
Common anatomic locations include:
- Elbow bursae
- Shoulder bursae
- Subacromial/subdeltoid bursa
- Subscapularis recess
- Subcoracoid bursa
- Coracoclavicular bursa
- Supra-acromial bursa
- Hip bursae
- Trochanteric bursa
- Iliopsoas bursa
- Subgluteus medius bursa
- Subgluteus minimus bursa
- Knee bursae
- Ankle bursae
- Retrocalcaneal bursa
- Achilles bursea
Based on the location of the affected bursa in relation to the skin, bursitis may be further classified into two subtypes: superficial and deep.
- Common superficial forms of bursitis include:
- Common deep forms of bursitis include:
- Trochanteric bursitis
- Anserine bursitis
- Subacromial bursitis
The following are images associated with different type of bursitis.
Subacromial-subdeltoid bursa - By Zameer Hirji - Zameer Hirji, Jaspal S Hunjun, Hema N Choudur (2011). "Imaging of the Bursae". Journal of Clinical Imaging Science 1 (1): 22. DOI:10.4103/2156-7514.80374. ISSN 2156-7514.Figure 1, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25309551
- Chatra PS (2012). "Bursae around the knee joints". Indian J Radiol Imaging. 22 (1): 27–30. doi:10.4103/0971-3026.95400. PMC 3354353. PMID 22623812.
- Fauci, Anthony S., and Carol Langford. Harrison's rheumatology. McGraw Hill Professional, 2010.
- Walker‐Bone, Karen, et al. "Prevalence and impact of musculoskeletal disorders of the upper limb in the general population.
- Aaron, Daniel L., et al. "Four common types of bursitis: diagnosis and management." Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 19.6 (2011): 359-367.