- arachidonate + O2 (5Z,9E,11Z,14Z)-(8R)-8-hydroperoxyicosa-5,9,11,14-tetraenoate
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are arachidonate and O2, whereas its product is (5Z,9E,11Z,14Z)-(8R)-8-hydroperoxyicosa-5,9,11,14-tetraenoate.
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on single donors with O2 as oxidant and incorporation of two atoms of oxygen into the substrate (oxygenases). The oxygen incorporated need not be derived from O2. The systematic name of this enzyme class is arachidonate:oxygen 8-oxidoreductase. Other names in common use include 8-lipoxygenase, and 8(R)-lipoxygenase. This enzyme participates in arachidonic acid metabolism.
- IUBMB entry for 18.104.22.168
- BRENDA references for 22.214.171.124 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 126.96.36.199
- PubMed Central references for 188.8.131.52
- Google Scholar references for 184.108.40.206
- Bundy GL, Nidy EG, Epps DE, Mizsak SA, Wnuk RJ (1986). "Discovery of an arachidonic acid C-8 lipoxygenase in the gorgonian coral Pseudoplexaura porosa". J. Biol. Chem. 261: 747&ndash, 51. PMID 2867091.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 100900-72-9.
Gene Ontology (GO) codes
|This EC 1.13 enzyme-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|