Adult bronchiolitis epidemiology and demographics
Adult bronchiolitis Microchapters
Adult bronchiolitis epidemiology and demographics On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Adult bronchiolitis epidemiology and demographics
The incidence for adult bronchiolitis is not well recorded, it is estimated that in the USA 3 per 100,000 of all community acquired pneumonias have underlying bronchiolitis. The prevalence of adult-onset bronchiolitis is unknown. The most common cause of bronchiolitis in adults is RSV, most adults tend to be asymptomatic or carriers and therefore, prevalence is difficult to stipulate. The attack rate for death caused by bronchiolitis complicated by pneumonia in elderly homes is approximately 3 per 100,000. The incidence of adult bronchiolitis increases with age; the median age at diagnosis is 68 years. There is no racial predilection in adults. Men are more commonly affected by bronchiolitis than women, and tend to have higher mortality rates. Diffuse panbronchiolitis is a common disease that tends to affect Japan. Those of Hispanic, Native American and Alaskan origins tend to have a higher likelihood of hospitalization. Developed and developing countries tend to have similar incidence, hospitalisation and mortality rates.
Epidemiology and Demographics
- The prevalence of adult-onset bronchiolitis is unknown.
- The most common cause of bronchiolitis in adults is RSV, most adults tend to be asymptomatic or carriers and therefore, prevalence is difficult to stipulate.
Case-fatality rate/Mortality rate
The incidence of adult bronchiolitis increases with age; the median age at diagnosis is 68 years.
There is no racial predilection in adults.
Men are more commonly affected by bronchiolitis than women, and tend to have higher mortality rates.
- Diffuse panbronchiolitis is a common disease that tends to affect Japan.
- Those of Hispanic, Native American and Alaskan origins tend to have a higher likelihood of hospitalization.
Developed Countries vs. Developing Countries
- Falsey AR, Walsh EE (July 2000). "Respiratory syncytial virus infection in adults". Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 13 (3): 371–84. PMC 88938. PMID 10885982.
- Ryu K, Takayanagi N, Ishiguro T, Kanauchi T, Kawate E, Kagiyama N, Sugita Y (December 2015). "Etiology and Outcome of Diffuse Acute Infectious Bronchiolitis in Adults". Ann Am Thorac Soc. 12 (12): 1781–7. doi:10.1513/AnnalsATS.201507-473OC. PMID 26524622.
- Deshpande SA, Northern V (December 2003). "The clinical and health economic burden of respiratory syncytial virus disease among children under 2 years of age in a defined geographical area". Arch. Dis. Child. 88 (12): 1065–9. PMC 1719378. PMID 14670770.
- Shi T, McAllister DA, O'Brien KL, Simoes E, Madhi SA, Gessner BD, Polack FP, Balsells E, Acacio S, Aguayo C, Alassani I, Ali A, Antonio M, Awasthi S, Awori JO, Azziz-Baumgartner E, Baggett HC, Baillie VL, Balmaseda A, Barahona A, Basnet S, Bassat Q, Basualdo W, Bigogo G, Bont L, Breiman RF, Brooks WA, Broor S, Bruce N, Bruden D, Buchy P, Campbell S, Carosone-Link P, Chadha M, Chipeta J, Chou M, Clara W, Cohen C, de Cuellar E, Dang DA, Dash-Yandag B, Deloria-Knoll M, Dherani M, Eap T, Ebruke BE, Echavarria M, de Freitas Lázaro Emediato CC, Fasce RA, Feikin DR, Feng L, Gentile A, Gordon A, Goswami D, Goyet S, Groome M, Halasa N, Hirve S, Homaira N, Howie S, Jara J, Jroundi I, Kartasasmita CB, Khuri-Bulos N, Kotloff KL, Krishnan A, Libster R, Lopez O, Lucero MG, Lucion F, Lupisan SP, Marcone DN, McCracken JP, Mejia M, Moisi JC, Montgomery JM, Moore DP, Moraleda C, Moyes J, Munywoki P, Mutyara K, Nicol MP, Nokes DJ, Nymadawa P, da Costa Oliveira MT, Oshitani H, Pandey N, Paranhos-Baccalà G, Phillips LN, Picot VS, Rahman M, Rakoto-Andrianarivelo M, Rasmussen ZA, Rath BA, Robinson A, Romero C, Russomando G, Salimi V, Sawatwong P, Scheltema N, Schweiger B, Scott J, Seidenberg P, Shen K, Singleton R, Sotomayor V, Strand TA, Sutanto A, Sylla M, Tapia MD, Thamthitiwat S, Thomas ED, Tokarz R, Turner C, Venter M, Waicharoen S, Wang J, Watthanaworawit W, Yoshida LM, Yu H, Zar HJ, Campbell H, Nair H (September 2017). "Global, regional, and national disease burden estimates of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children in 2015: a systematic review and modelling study". Lancet. 390 (10098): 946–958. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30938-8. PMC 5592248. PMID 28689664. Vancouver style error: initials (help)
- Ralston SL, Lieberthal AS, Meissner HC, Alverson BK, Baley JE, Gadomski AM, Johnson DW, Light MJ, Maraqa NF, Mendonca EA, Phelan KJ, Zorc JJ, Stanko-Lopp D, Brown MA, Nathanson I, Rosenblum E, Sayles S, Hernandez-Cancio S (November 2014). "Clinical practice guideline: the diagnosis, management, and prevention of bronchiolitis". Pediatrics. 134 (5): e1474–502. doi:10.1542/peds.2014-2742. PMID 25349312.