|The triangles of the neck. (Anterior triangles to the left; posterior triangles to the right. Suprahyoid labeled at left.)|
|Side of neck, showing chief surface markings. (Nerves are yellow, arteries are red.)|
|Gray's||subject #145 565|
The submental triangle (or suprahyoid triangle) is a division of the anterior triangle of the neck.
It is limited:
- behind by the anterior belly of the Digastricus,
- in front by the middle line of the neck between the mandible and the hyoid bone;
- below, by the body of the hyoid bone;
- its floor is formed by the Mylohyoideus.
- one or two lymph glands, the submental lymph nodes
- some small veins; the latter unite to form the anterior jugular vein
- Norman/Georgetown lesson6
- SUNY Figs 25:01-03 - "Identification of the subdivsions of the anterior triangle and corresponding borders."
- SUNY Labs 25:19-0101 - "Anterior Triangle of the Neck: The Submental Triangle"
This article was originally based on an entry from a public domain edition of Gray's Anatomy. As such, some of the information contained herein may be outdated. Please edit the article if this is the case, and feel free to remove this notice when it is no longer relevant.
General anatomy of neck (Throat • Pharynx • Larynx)
|Cartilages||Cricoid • Thyroid (Laryngeal prominence) • Epiglottis • Arytenoid • Cuneiform • Corniculate|
|Ligaments||extrinsic ligaments: Thyrohyoid membrane (Lateral thyrohyoid ligament, Median thyrohyoid ligament) • Hyoepiglottic ligament • Cricotracheal ligament|
intrinsic ligaments: Cricothyroid ligament
|Folds and related structures||folds: (Glossoepiglottic, Aryepiglottic, Vocal, Vestibular)|
Vocal ligament • Ventricle of the larynx • Infraglottic cavity • Vestibule of larynx • Rima glottidis • Glottis
|Triangles of the neck||Anterior of the neck (Muscular, Carotid, Submandibular, Submental) Suboccipital|
|Fascia||Deep cervical fascia (Pretrachial fascia, Prevertebral fascia, Investing layer) • Carotid sheath • Buccopharyngeal fascia|
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies