Posterior tibial artery
|Artery: Posterior tibial artery|
|Back of left lower extremity, showing surface markings for bones, vessels, and nerves. (Posterior tibial artery labeled at bottom right.)|
|Latin||arteria tibialis posterior|
|Gray's||subject #162 637|
|Branches||fibular artery, medial plantar artery, lateral plantar artery|
|Vein||posterior tibial vein|
Please Take Over This Page and Apply to be Editor-In-Chief for this topic: There can be one or more than one Editor-In-Chief. You may also apply to be an Associate Editor-In-Chief of one of the subtopics below. Please mail us  to indicate your interest in serving either as an Editor-In-Chief of the entire topic or as an Associate Editor-In-Chief for a subtopic. Please be sure to attach your CV and or biographical sketch.
The posterior tibial artery of the lower limb carries blood to the posterior compartment of the leg and plantar surface of the foot, from the popliteal artery. It is accompanied by a deep vein, the posterior tibial vein, along its course.
Palpation of the posterior tibial artery pulse
The posterior tibial artery pulse can be readily palpated posterior and inferior to the medial malleolus and is often examined by physicians when assessing a patient for peripheral vascular disease. It is very rarely absent in young and healthy individuals; in a study of 547 healthy individuals only one person did not have a palpable posterior tibial artery.
- ↑ Day C, Orme R (2006). "Popliteal artery branching patterns -- an angiographic study". Clin Radiol 61 (8): 696-9. PMID 16843754.
- ↑ Robertson GS, Ristic CD, Bullen BR. The incidence of congenitally absent foot pulses. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1990 Mar;72(2):99-100. PMID 2185683.
Major arteries of the leg (posterior view)
- Gray's s157 - "The Arteries of the Lower Extremity"
- Gray's s95 - "Ankle joint"
- SUNY Figs 12:04-14 - "Arteries of the lower extremity shown in association with major landmarks."
- Image at umich.edu - pulse
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies