NCI-designated Cancer Center
Two designations are recognized: Comprehensive Cancer Centers and Cancer Centers. As of 2005, there are 39 Comprehensive Cancer Centers and 22 Cancer Centers.
Comprehensive Cancer Centers are the more restrictive of the two types. These facilities must demonstrate expertise in each of three areas: laboratory, clinical, and behavioral and population-based research. Comprehensive Cancer Centers are expected to initiate and conduct early phase, innovative clinical trials and to participate in the NCI's cooperative groups by providing leadership and recruiting patients for trials. Comprehensive Cancer Centers must also conduct activities in outreach and education, and provide information on advances in healthcare for both healthcare professionals and the public.
Cancer Centers generally conduct a combination of basic, population sciences, and clinical research, and are encouraged to stimulate collaborative research involving more than one field of study. Several of these centers conduct only laboratory research and do not provide patient care.
List of Comprehensive Cancer Centers
- Alabama: University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center - Website
- Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of California, Irvine (Orange, CA) - Website
- City of Hope (Duarte, CA) - Website
- Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) - Website
- Rebecca and John Moores University of California, San Diego Cancer Center - Website
- University of California, San Francisco Comprehensive Cancer Center - Website
- USC/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital (Los Angeles, CA) - Website
- Colorado: University of Colorado Cancer Center (Aurora, CO) - Website
- Connecticut: Yale Cancer Center (New Haven, CT) - Website
- District of Columbia: Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center at Georgetown University (Washington,DC) - Website
- New Hampshire:
- New York:
- North Carolina:
- Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) - Website
- Fox Chase Cancer Center (Philadelphia, PA) - Website
- Penn State Cancer Institute at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center (Hershey, PA)
- The Cancer Institute at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Pittsburgh, PA) - Website
List of Cancer Centers
This list includes facilities that are strictly laboratories and do not provide patient services, marked as "laboratory only"
- Hawaii: Cancer Research Center of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI) - Website
- The Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) - Website - laboratory only
- New York:
- San Antonio Cancer Institute of Cancer Therapy & Research Center - Website and the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio - Website
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies