List of open source healthcare software
Electronic Health Record/Electronic Medical Record
- CAISI is an EMR system based on Oscar but offers more features for support of integrated holistic health-care for homeless people
- CareNav Health Solutions offers patient's the ability to seek help in managing their condition outside the regularly prescribed doctor's visits or emergency care with the input from their physician, health plan, and other vested parties.
- CHIRIS (Canada Health Infoway Reference Implementation Suite) is a demonstration of Electronic Health Record (EHR) interoperability messaging created by Canada Health Infoway
- Circare is a client and provider index that ties together the information about a single patient and makes it available securely to care providers in a distributed network. Does not look like it has been updated since 2000
- Cottage Med
- Tolven ePHR Electronic Personal/Clinical Health Record system and informatics platform
- GNUmed is a WxPython application that uses PostGreSQL.
- IndivoHealth Personally Controlled Health Record, enables patients to own complete, secure copies of their medical records, integrating health information across sites of care and over time. (Indivo is the underlying software being used for the Dossia project.)
- Medclipse an open-source Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software for the Swiss general practitioner
- openEHR aims at improving health-care with knowledge-based health computing, interoperable, life-long electronic health records (EHRs), open specifications and open source software, as well as clinical knowledge resources (archetypes)
- Open Healthcare Framework Developed by IBM for sharing medical information across disparate health record systems and used by IBM as part of its participation in the National Health Information Network.
- OpenEMR an open-source Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software.
- OpenHRE Health Record Exchange and Access Control services
- OpenMed is a distributed healthcare and medical information framework based on open standards including those of HL7 and the healthcare taskforce of the OMG
- OSCAR an open-source Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software. Some software is specialized for the needs of Canadian health care providers.
- PatientRunner is a mental health medical records system
- Referent Tracking System novel approach to store data in electronic (health) records by referring to real world entities by means of a unique ID
- Saukhya-Must is a Web-based basic nursing home / healthcare management system that enables fast, accurate and automated collection of patient data and subsequent report generation, ideal for small general hospitals.
- SQL Clinic
- XChart appears to be a dead project
- Ultimate EMR A feature rich Open Source Core Electronic Medical Record for small medical providers developed with Plone/ Python/ Zope.
- PatientOS A rich client Open Source Healthcare Information System for hospital enterprises and physician offices.
- VistA -- Veterans Administrations integrated Electronic Health Record and Electronic Image Record system available for non-governmental use on MUMPS licensed systems.
Medical Practice Management Software
- FreeMED (see also the FreeMED wikipedia article)
- GPLMedicine.org A Open Source EHR/PM comparison site
- OpenEMR (see also the OpenEMR wikipedia article)
- Care2x Hospital information system/practice management system/EHR
- VBNetMed formerly called AccessPG, developed by a single practitioner in Townsville Queensland Australia, written in VB .NET, last update July 2006
- Office Manager Encompassing office management healthcare software for medical practices, doctors groups, DMEs, retailers, etc. It does User/patient management, point of sale, scheduling, sign-in, inventory, insurance claims, accouting, etc. Any OS!
- Elexis Praxisprogramm is an Eclipse RCP program for all aspects of a medical practice: electronic medical record (EMR), laboratory findings etc., as well as accounting, billing (Swiss TARMED-System, other systems to be developed) and other daily work
- OpenTAPAS Technology Assisted Practice Application Suite (TAPAS) is a term that describes digital tools that assist physicians deliver care in a paper based office
- Open-dental Dental practice management software wiki article Open dental
- BridgeIt SolutionsMedical Manager Data Management and Reporting Solution
- VistA Imaging Public domain fully integrated PACS, image, and scanned document information system. One of the most widely used in the world.
- Eviewbox Java medical imaging software
- DCMTK is a collection of libraries and applications implementing large parts the DICOM standard
- Drishti is a volumetric visualisation package for viewing Computer Tomography data. Able to import DICOM image stacks.
- GDCM is a librarie shipped with some applications implementing part 5 of the DICOM standard. Current development now takes place here.
- Amide tool for viewing, analyzing, and registering volumetric medical imaging data sets, actively being developed
- CTSIM Computed Tomography Simulator, active development
- ecg2png Program designed to convert scanned 12-lead electrocardiograms into PNG format
- DCM4CHE Open Source Clinical Image and Object Management written in java
- MITK Medical Imaging Interaction Toolkit
- Imlib3d C++ library for 3D (volumetric) image processing
- 3D SlicerMedical Visualization and Processing Environment for Research
- Tempo(Topographic Eeg Mapping PrOgram) is open source software for 3D visualization of brain electrical activity
- PhP Nuke healthcare PHP-Nuke based system for Health Institutes. X-Ray and Register modules for storing patient data with pictures. System is DICOM compatible
- miniwebpacs storage, control and recovery of medical images and information in healthcare providers of small and medium capacity. Such system is based on the DICOM standard and in the actual WEB technologies.
- DICOM Validation Tool (DVT) is a software utility and a set of .NET components that will assist in testing the medical / healthcare protocol DICOM. DVT provides you the methods to transfer and validate DICOM objects.
- OsiriX 3D DICOM Medical Viewer for MacOS X. Complete DICOM Viewer with complete DICOM network support ! DICOM DICOM
- BioImageXD software for analysis, processing and 3D rendering of multi dimensional, multi data channel, time series image data from microscopy and other sources
- O3-RWS is the Radiology Workstation of the Open Three ( O3 ) Consortium. According to the IHE definitions, O3-RWS is an Open Source, DICOM based, Internationalized, Modular and Portable Image Display actor plus the integration of several other IHE actors.
- CDMedic PACS
- DICOM Router a variety of DICOM related utilities
- BrainStorm an electro/magnetoencephalography (EEG/MEG) data processing and vizualisation toolbox.
- BrainVisa a brain imaging package including data processing and visualization capabilities, such as T1-based gyrus segmentation, diffusion-based fibertracking, PET, MEG, EEG and more.
- VTK Visualization Toolkit
- ITK Segmentation and Registration Toolkit
- ParaView Large Scale Visualization tool
- Ogles is a three-dimensional volume and slice data visualization tool
- Virtual PACS allows radiologists to use a DICOM workstation to access multiple DICOM repositories as a single federated virtualized PACS. The DICOM repositories are exposed on caGrid and can include PACS, image archives such as National Cancer Imaging Archive or other DICOM data warehouses.
- ClearCanvas Workstation is an open source DICOM workstation and application framework for developing medical imaging applications.
- Endrov Image and data viewer and editor
Medical Information Systems
- OpenClinica is a web-based application that facilitates electronic data capture in clinical trials. The system is free but commercial support is available.
- Caisis is a web based information system for the storage and analysis of cancer patient data intended to bridge the gap between clinic and research.
- meditux medical information system written in java, development stopped in 2004
- Open Infrastructure for Outcomes OIO) system enables clinicians, researchers, and other non-programmers to create and maintain flexible and portable patient/research records.
- SmartenRx is a pharmacy communication system. It sends messages between pharmacists and physicians containing medication profiles, recommendations, and new prescriptions. The system also supports research use of historical data to measure effectiveness
- GnosisLims is a system of software that is designed to generically address the Information Management needs of any laboratory, last and only release in 2005
- trilonis-mc For managed healthcare group eligibility, billing, capitation, and claims adjudication. Aimed at TPAs, HMOs, PPOs, and self-insured employers. HIPAA compliant. Will handle medical, dental, vision, psych, section 125 and COBRA
- Blood_collection is a Web based software to increase the number of donators in blood collections by managing slots for registrations, with a front-end to delegate the blood collection creation and administration.
- Mirth is an open source cross-platform HL7 interface engine that enables bi-directional sending of HL7 messages between systems and applications over multiple transports.
- HAPI (HL7 application programming interface; pronounced "happy") is an open-source, object-oriented HL7 2.x parser for Java
- nHAPI .Net version of HAPI (http://hl7api.sourceforge.net/).
- HL7 Inspector 2 HL7 analysis and validation tool
- O3-DPACS stands for “Open Three ( O3 ) - Data & Picture Archiving and Communication System”. O3-DPACS is a DICOM & HL7 based IHE compliant Open Source PACS extended to any type of data
- Open LIS-HL7 HL7 library written in Delphi 6, last updated in 2002
- ProtoGen/HL7 an implementation of HL7 in C++ , last updated in 2001
- hl7lib Software implementing Health Level 7 protocols commonly used in the medical industry, last released in the year 2000
- HL7ImExa is table driven set C routines to encode/decode HL-7 messages, last updated in 1996
- RODS Real-time Outbreak and Disease Surveillance (RODS) is open-source public health surveillance software. RODS collects and analyzes disease surveillance data in real time and has been in development since 1999 by the RODS Laboratory--a collaboration of the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University
- BioSig library for biomedical signal processing featuring for example the analysis of biosignals such as the electroencephalogram (EEG), electrocorticogram (ECoG), electrocardiogram (ECG), electrooculogram (EOG), electromyogram (EMG), respiration, and so on License: GPL
- ecg2png Program designed to convert scanned 12-lead electrocardiograms into PNG format
- BioMail is a small web-based application for medical researchers, biologists, and anyone who wants to know the latest information about a disease or a biological phenomenon. It is written to automate searching for recent scientific papers in the PubMed
- OpenClinica is a web-based platform for managing clinical studies. Key functions include EDC, CRF, protocol, and site management.
- MIX Meta Analysis software for Excel
- caGrid is an underlying service oriented infrastructure that supports caBIG™, an initiative of the National Cancer Institute
- Chiapas is an enterprise level HIPAA data translation package
- Mirth is an open source cross-platform HL7 interface engine that enables bi-directional sending of HL7 messages between systems and applications over multiple transports. It has data translation capabilities between a large number of formats including database, XML, file, HL7 2.x, and HL7 3.
- Bots Bots open source EDI translator. Any-to any-translations. Supported data formats: edifact, XML, X12, SAP idoc, flat-file, JSON. HL7 is in development.
- National Heart and Lung Institute medical software for handlhelds
- Jengine apparently dead integration engine project written in java
- OpenHealth Services an open protocol for the secure exchange of clinical personal health record information. Patient-centric solution that leverages a number of industry standards such as Continuity of Care Record. Link includes documentation, software development kit (SDK) and freely distributed Viewer.
OpenGalen computer-based multilingual coding system for medicine  NHS Common User Interface (CUI) Programme. This enables a common look and feel across the five regions of the NHS as prescribed within the NHS plan.
- ICD National Center for Health Statistics Classification of Diseases and Functioning&Disabilities
- LOINC Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes - database of codes and universal identifiers for laboratory and other clinical observations
- The National Drug Code Directory National Drug Code Directory
- IPath open source telemedicine platform
- IHEOS implementation of IHE (Integrating the Healthcare Environment) actors. IHE defines profiles for the use of various standards in the healthcare environment
- GELLO - GELLO is the ANSI-accredited standard, HL7 Guideline Expression Language, Object Oriented. Gello.org is an effort to build open source authoring tool for creating GELLO expressions for multiple uses - including decision support, drug prior authorization, matching patients to clinical trials, etc.
- MARiS Project The MARiS Project goal is to realize a package suite for Radiological Workflow using Open Source tools and technologies in according with IHE guidelines. The architecture of the single packages is based on the concept of IHE actor: this is very useful to develop a system that is an ensamble of single pieces that cooperate together using IHE profiles.
Private Health Record
- Tapeworm Gnome-desktop health profiler to keep track of your diet, including calories and %'s of fat, carbs, and protein, exercise, blood glucose, weight, etc...
- Lamdi Linux Anesthesia Modular Devices Interface
- CHITS Community Health Information Tracking System , active development
- Physionet a collection of software for
- WFDB Software for viewing, analyzing, and creating recordings of physiologic signals
- record an application for capturing data from an HP CMS (Merlin) monitor
- apdet Hilbert Transform based Sleep Apnea Detection using a Single Lead Electrocardiogram
- ecgwave QRS detection and waveform boundary recognition using ecgpuwave
- edr Derive a respiration signal from one or more ECG signals
- puka software for detection of breaths in strain gauge recordings
- many more componets available in the Physionet Software Index
- Medical Algorithms Project Not really software or strictly open source but usable medical algorithms nonetheless
-  HL7 Message browser and radiological image distribution. Last build was in 2003
- MedMapper Medical decision making algorithm tool. Visual design tool generates Tcl/Tk code. Non-programmers can design interactive algorithms. Generates notes for inclusion in medical record. Runs freestanding or in Tcl Plugin.
- OS-ELN Web based Electronic Lab Notebook
- hxp Healthcare Xchange Protocol for interoperative communications. Data exchange/transfer, platform independent, XML-RPC, HL7, SOAP, EDIFACT. Not much activity since 2004.
- OHF Eclipse foundation Healthcare project to create components to improve interoperability in the healthcare industry
- Ideopass/ component to manage the identity of the patients in healthcare organizations
- SQLCare is a clinical database/web application for healthcare providers in the United States
- EGADSS is an open source tool that is designed to work in conjunction with primary care Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems to provide patient specific point of care reminders in order to aid physicians provide high quality care
- 03-MARIS HE compliant Department System IHE Order Filler and PPS Manager, for scheduling and workflow management in radiology department
- 03-RWS IHE compliant Internationalized Modular Portable Radiology workstation
- 03-TEBAN allows 3D reconstruction of brain electrical activity from magnetic resonance measurements (MRI) and brain activity mapping even in pathological patients.
- 03-Fat Brother software for monitoring DICOM and HL7 services
- 03-XDS is an XDS complete System
- NetEpi Open source tools for population health epidemiology
- ROC.KIT This application allows for automated calculation of ROC curves (Receiver-Operating-Characteristic) from continuous medical data like laboratory results.
- Sispread epidemic simulation
- influsim Influenza pendemic simulator
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies