King Edward Medical University
King Edward Medical University
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz)|
1860-1894: Creation to recognition
King Edward Medical University - established in 1860 - is the second oldest medical institution in the Sub-continent, after Bengal Medical College (1835). Initially known as Lahore Medical College, it was renamed Lahore Medical School in 1864. Both the school and the attached hospital (Lahore Dispensary) were small.
The Government of India, The Lahore Municipal Committee and The Government of The Punjab funded generously for construction of a new attached hospital in 1871. The hospital was named after the then Viceroy of the Sub-continent, the “Earl of Mayo”. The architecture of the hospital was Italian, designed by Pudon and engineered by Rai Bahadur Kanahya. The new academic building was completed in 1883, the same year in which females were first allowed admission to the college. That building is now the Anatomy Department.
Lahore Medical School was recognized in 1886 by the senate of the University of Dublin.
The university and the attached hospital was built piece by piece by the funding and efforts of several dedicated people.
Campus and departments
The university has following departments:
- Basic science departments:
- Medicine and allied departments:
- Surgery and allied departments:
Anesthesiology unit I & II
Obstetrics and Gynaecology Unit I, II, III & IV
Ophthalmology unit I, II & III
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Orthopedics Unit I & II
Otorhinolaryngology Unit I & II
Surgery Unit I, II, III & IV
- Attached hospitals:
- Institutes, schools and centres:
Centre For Nuclear Medicine (CENUM)
College of Ophthalmology and Allied Vision Sciences (COAVS)
School of Nursing, School of Orthopaedic Technology
School of Paramedical
School of Physiotherapy
Tuberculosis Research Centre
- Auxiliary services:
Kemcaana Computer Lab (Biochemistry Department)
- Attached Hostel facilities:
Academic degrees at KEMU
- For Undergraduates:
- For Postgraduates:
- For Post-postgraduates:
King Edward Medical University is headed by Vice Chancellor (Prof. Mumtaz Hasan, Sitara-i-Imtiaz), who is also the Chairman of Admission Board for Govt. Medical Colleges of the Punjab. At any time of year the University has over ~1250 undergraduate and over ~1000 postgraduate students, with ~300 undergraduate seats for the influx of new local and foreign undergraduate students each year.
Admission to King Edward Medical University is awarded to the students who have the highest merit in the province of Punjab. The merit for admission is calculated from marks obtained in Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) exam plus the marks obtained in the entry test. The percentage of each of these exams contributing to the final merit is different each year. The entry test takes place in the months of September and October. Criteria for selection, for undergraduate seats, of foreign students and students with foreign examination is based on equivalents tables present for foreign examinations to that of local HSSC examination.
The graduation time period lasts 5 years. After graduation one year compulsory internship has to be done in Mayo Hospital or any Government Hospital. The interns are given rotations in departments based on merit. This merit is made from marks obtained in Final professional examination and all the other professional examination, with deductions for any failures in the exams. Of all the specialties on offer, the Medicine and Surgery ones are the most competitive and allow only the best of each graduating class. After completion of internship the full registration status to a Doctor is awarded by Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC). Which means that the he/she can practice anywhere in Pakistan only.
Students', unions and sports
King Edward Medical University has many societies for the students to take part in, such as:
- Students' Patient Welfare Society (SPWS)
- Literary Society
- Debating Society
- Sports Department
- Photographic Club
- Kemcolians Dramatic Society
The members of these societies compete at both the national and international level, and have won numerous competitions.
King Edward Medical University has its own magazine, KEMCOL, maintained by the Students of King Edward Medical University.
The previous and current students of KEMU are referred to as Kemcolians. The name of the official forum is also based on the same word, its kemcolian.com.
Research is conducted by every department of King Edward Medical University. Pakistan lags behind in research. Mainly because of lack of funding, facilities and to some extent due to the present culture which discourages independent and critical thinking. Despite the situation, the most notable departments which regularly conduct research inlcude Anesthesiology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medicine, Opthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Pediatrics, Physiology, Plastic surgery, Radiotherapy, Surgey and almost all the departments.
Following Alumni appear in the official website:
- King Edward Medical College Alumni Association of North America (KEMCAANA)
- The King Edward Medical College Alumni Association of the United Kingdom
- "The King Edward Medical University, Lahore Act 2005", Punjab Gazette (Extraordinary): 5393–5410, 12 May 2005
- "Prospectus OF King Edward Medical University and Government Medical Colleges in the Punjab, Pakistan. Session 2007-2008" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- Rahman, Dr. Atif, After Passing Final Year (M.B.;B.S.), retrieved 2007-10-14
- Jafarey, NA. "Why Pakistan lags behind in research". Dawn. Retrieved 2005-06-20.
- August 16, 2007. "Alumni Associations of King Edward Medical University".
- King Edward Medical University - Official Website of King Edward Medical University.
- KEMU - Department of Pathology
- KEMU - Department of Dermatology - Unit II
- KEMU - Department of Community medicine
- Mayo Hospital - The attached teaching hospital
- Pakistan Forum On RxPG - RxPG is the largest internet medical community.
- Kemcolians Discussion Forum - Discussion Forum for students and doctors of King Edward Medical University.
- Med Studentz Medical School Forums - Discussion forum for students interested in Pakistan Medical Colleges.
- PakMed Biomedical Solutions - Providing information on medical education in Pakistan. You can also find information on Entry Test Result.
- Students' Patient Welfare Society, KEMU.
- BrainMed - Online educational resources from North Medical Ward, King Edward Medical University.
- Pakistan Council for Science and Technology - This council decides civilian R&D activities in Pakistan.