Viral meningitis physical examination
Viral meningitis Microchapters
Viral meningitis physical examination On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Viral meningitis physical examination
Viral meningitis patients appear lethargic and may be not well oriented. They also appears feverish grading from 38-40 degrees. The signs may differ according to the patient age and the virus causing the disease as well. Different signs can be noticed like photophobia, phonophobia, nuchal rigidity,altered mental status, and skin rash.
Appearance of the patient
- Pharyngitis in case of enterovirus infeciton
- Orchitis in case of mumps infection
- Normal heart sounds
- No murmurs, gallops or rubs
- Gastroenteritis especially in cases if enteroviral meningitis
- Norris CM, Danis PG, Gardner TD (1999). "Aseptic meningitis in the newborn and young infant". Am Fam Physician. 59 (10): 2761–70. PMID 10348069.
- Rorabaugh ML, Berlin LE, Heldrich F, Roberts K, Rosenberg LA, Doran T; et al. (1993). "Aseptic meningitis in infants younger than 2 years of age: acute illness and neurologic complications". Pediatrics. 92 (2): 206–11. PMID 8337018.