Roux was born and educated in Jena. His methodology was to interfere with developing embryos and observe the outcome. In 1888, Roux published the results of a series of defect experiments in which he took 2 and 4 cell frog embryos and destroyed some of the cells of each embryo with a hot needle.
- Der Kampf der Teile im Organismus (1881)
- Über die Entwicklungsmechanik der Organismen (1890)
- Geschichtliche Abhandlung über Entwicklungsmechanik (two volumes, 1895)
- Die Entwicklungsmechanik (1905)
- Terminologie der Entwicklungsmechanik (1912).
- ""Animals and alternatives in testing."". Retrieved 2006-04-19.