(Redirected from Hormonal therapy)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. 
Hormone therapy, or hormonal therapy is the use of hormones in medical treatment. Treatment with hormone antagonists may also referred to as hormonal therapy. Wikipedia has the following articles regarding this topic:
- Hormonal therapy (oncology) for treatment of cancer
- Hormone replacement therapy (menopause) following menopause
- Testosterone replacement in males with low levels due to disease or aging
Testosterone therapy, especially among males with low testosterone levels. Testosterone may improve depressive symptoms in hypogonadal, older males.
- Hormone replacement therapy (female-to-male) in sex reassignment therapy for transmen
- Hormone replacement therapy (male-to-female) in sex reassignment therapy for transwomen
- Hormone therapy in Klinefelter's syndrome
- Hormone therapy in Turner syndrome
- Growth hormone replacement as a treatment for growth hormone deficiency
- Thyroid hormone replacement in hypothyroidism
Testosterone therapy may or may not improve the metabolism of glucose and lipids.
- Chemical castration of violent sex offenders
Adverse effects of testosterone
Testosterone may in case cardiovascular disease in older males.
The Food and Drug Administration was warned of dangers from testosterone
de:Hormontherapie nl:Hormoonbehandeling fi:Hormonihoito
- ↑ Walther A, Breidenstein J, Miller R (2019). "Association of Testosterone Treatment With Alleviation of Depressive Symptoms in Men: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis". JAMA Psychiatry. 76 (1): 31–40. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2018.2734. PMC 6583468 Check
|pmc=value (help). PMID 30427999.
- ↑ Snyder PJ, Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Matsumoto AM, Stephens-Shields AJ, Cauley JA; et al. (2016). "Effects of Testosterone Treatment in Older Men". N Engl J Med. 374 (7): 611–24. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1506119. PMC 5209754. PMID 26886521. Review in: Ann Intern Med. 2016 May 17;164(10):JC56
- ↑ Jones TH, Arver S, Behre HM, Buvat J, Meuleman E, Moncada I; et al. (2011). "Testosterone replacement in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes and/or metabolic syndrome (the TIMES2 study)". Diabetes Care. 34 (4): 828–37. doi:10.2337/dc10-1233. PMC 3064036. PMID 21386088.
- ↑ Emmelot-Vonk MH, Verhaar HJ, Nakhai Pour HR, Aleman A, Lock TM, Bosch JL; et al. (2008). "Effect of testosterone supplementation on functional mobility, cognition, and other parameters in older men: a randomized controlled trial". JAMA. 299 (1): 39–52. doi:10.1001/jama.2007.51. PMID 18167405. Review in: ACP J Club. 2008 May 20;148(3):4 Review in: Evid Based Med. 2008 Jun;13(3):71
- ↑ Basaria S, Coviello AD, Travison TG, Storer TW, Farwell WR, Jette AM; et al. (2010). "Adverse events associated with testosterone administration". N Engl J Med. 363 (2): 109–22. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1000485. PMC 3440621. PMID 20592293. Review in: Ann Intern Med. 2010 Dec 21;153(12):JC6-7
- ↑ Food and Drug Administration. DA Drug Safety Communication: FDA cautions about using testosterone products for low testosterone due to aging; requires labeling change to inform of possible increased risk of heart attack and stroke with use. 02/2018. Available at https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-cautions-about-using-testosterone-products-low-testosterone-due
- ↑ Food and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA cautions about using testosterone products for low testosterone due to aging; requires labeling change to inform of possible increased risk of heart attack and stroke with use. 03/2015. Available at https://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20161022203711/http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm436259.htm