New York University School of Medicine
The School of Medicine is part of New York University Medical Center. It is located at 550 First Avenue. The School of Medicine has 360 full-time faculty and 175 part-time faculty. Additionally, there are 26 endowed professorships, 975 residents/fellows, 76 M.D./Ph.D. candidates and 788 post-graduate registrants as of 2007. The NYU Medical Center is home to both the School of Medicine and the Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences. It ranked in the top 20 in the nation in cardiology, geriatrics, neurology, orthopedics, psychiatry, rehabilitation and rheumatology in the 2007 US News and World Report rankings. It was ranked among the premier hospitals in the nation in 12 different specialties overall.
In 1841, the New York University College of Medicine is established. The medical school merged with Bellevue Medical College in the 1898 to form the University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College. The present name was adopted in 1960.
In 1854, human dissection in New York was legalized due to efforts of the faculty. In 1866, NYU professors produced a report for the Council of Hygiene and Public Health which led to establishment of New York City's Health Department. The same year, NYU opened the first outpatient clinic in the United States. In 1872, NYU Professor Steven Smith founded the American Public Health Association. In 1884, the Carnegie Laboratory, the first facility in the U.S. devoted to teaching and research in bacteriology and pathology, was established at NYU. In 1899, NYU graduate Walter Reed discovered the mosquito transmission of yellow fever. In 1932, the first department of forensic medicine in the U.S. was established at NYU. In 1941, NYU opened the first department of physical medicine and rehabilitation in the U.S. The Institute and Department of Environmental Medicine were established in 1964. In 1980, NYU professor Saul Krugman, M.D., developed the first vaccine against hepatitis B. In 1993, the School of Medicine's Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, the largest building project in history of NYU, opened. In 1998, the Mount Sinai NYU Health was established, when the NYU Medical System merged with Mount Sinai Hospitals. The joint organization included The Mount Sinai Hospital, The Mount Sinai Hospital of Queens, Tisch Hospital, the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, the Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute, and NYU Downtown Hospital. It was reported in 2003 that the union was dissolving after a five-year affiliation while confronting a shared debt of $665.6 million. In 2006, the Smilow Research Center opened its doors, providing a new site for translational research in nine areas. Most recently, NYU Medical has divorced itself from Mount Sinai, which is no longer an affiliate.
Evolution of the New York University School of Medicine
- 1841 - University Medical College organized as the Medical Department of the University of the City of New York
- 1861 - Bellevue Hospital Medical College Founded
- 1882 - New York Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital founded (incorporated in 1886)
- 1896 - Name of the University of the City of New York changed to New York University
- 1898 - University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College formed by merging of the University Medical College and Bellevue Hospital Medical College
- 1935 - Name changed to New York University College of Medicine
- 1945 - Post-graduate Division of New York University College of Medicine established
- 1948 - New York University Post-Graduate Medical school formed, representing a union of the Postgraduate Division of the College of Medicine and the New York Post-Graduate Medical School
- 1960 - Name of New York University-Bellevue Medical Center changed to New York University Medical Center - Name of New York University College of Medicine changed to New York University School of Medicine
1841: The New York University College of Medicine opens, ten years after the founding of the university. Among the original faculty is John Revere, son of patriot Paul Revere and Valentine Mott, probably the foremost surgeon of his day.
1854: Human dissection in New York is legalized due to efforts of faculty at the NYU College of Medicine.
The first successful resection of a hip joint is performed by Lewis A. Sayre, M.D., the first professor of orthopedic surgery in the United States.
1861-65: Faculty members of the NYU Medical College play a leading role in treating soldiers wounded during the Civil War, chiefly through work on the United States Sanitary Commission.
1866: NYU professors of medicine produce a Report for the Council of Hygiene and Public Health. It leads to the establishment of New York City's Health Department.
The first outpatient clinic in the United States opens at NYU.
1872: NYU's Stephen Smith, M.D., founds the American Public Health Association.
1884: The Carnegie Laboratory, the first facility in the United States devoted to teaching and research in bacteriology and pathology, is established at NYU.
1899: Dr. Walter Reed discovers the mosquito transmission of yellow fever.
1911: The first outpatient cardiac clinic in New York is established by NYU's Hubert V. Guile, M.D.
1931: Albert Sabin, who later developed a live-virus vaccine against polio, received his M.D. degree at NYU.
1932: The first department of forensic medicine in the United States is established at NYU.
NYU organizes one of the nation's first interdisciplinary research efforts, the Rheumatic Diseases Study Group, helping to usher in the era of modern rheumatology.
1933: William S. Tillett, M.D. conducts groundbreaking studies of enzymes involved in blood clotting. His work leads to the development of streptokinase, used to combat heart attacks.
1939: Jonas Salk, developer of the first vaccine against polio, receives his M.D. degree at NYU.
1941: The first department of physical medicine and rehabilitation in the United States is established at NYU.
1941-45: During the war years, NYU-trained Julius Axelrod, M.D., works with James Shannon, M.D., and other faculty members in the Medical Schools malaria program. Dr. Axelrod is later awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine.
1947: A site for a new Medical Center, consisting of the NYU School of Medicine, the Post-Graduate Medical School, University (now Tisch) Hospital, and the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, is selected.
The Institute of Industrial Medicine is established.
1948: University Hospital is created through a merger of the New York Post-Graduate Hospital and New York Skin and Cancer Hospital.
1954: Lewis Thomas, M.D., assumes chairmanship of the Department of Pathology.
1955: The Medical Science Building and the Henry W. and Albert Berg Institute opens at NYU.
1957: The Hall of Research and Alumni Hall are constructed.
1959: The Nobel Prize for medicine is awarded to NYU faculty member Servero Ochoa, M.D., for his seminal study of biochemical genetics and nucleic acids.
1960: The Clinical Research Center, funded by the NIH, is established at NYU.
1960s: NYU pathologist Baruj Benacerraf, M.D., conducts pioneering research on genetic regulation of the immune system, for which he is later awarded the Nobel Prize in medicine in 1980.
1962: One of the first M.D.-Ph.D., programs in the United States is established at NYU.
1963: The new University Hospital opens.
1964: The Institute and Department of Environmental Medicine are established.
1975: One of the first designated national cancer centers is established at NYU, later named the Rita and Stanley H. Kaplan Center.
1980: Saul Krugman, M.D., professor of pediatrics, develops the first vaccine against hepatitis B. Earlier, he had been honored for his research work in rubella.
1981: NYU scientists present the first evidence linking rare cancer, Kaposi's sarcoma, with immune deficiency in a distinct population of homosexual men, a key step in identifying AIDS.
1992: NYU Medical Center opens Women's Health Services under the auspices of the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Radiology.
1993: The School of Medicine's Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, the largest building project in history of NYU, is opened as an uncompromising commitment to the advancement and understanding of molecular approaches for the treatment of various important diseases.
1998: NYU Medical Center is restructured, creating the "NYU Hospitals Center" (including Tisch Hospital and Rusk Institute), the "NYU Health System" (consisting of NYU Hospitals Center, Hospital for Joint Diseases and NYU Downtown Hospital), and the "NYU School of Medicine" which remains an administrative unit of New York University.
2004: The NYU Clinical Cancer Center is opened.
2006: The School of Medicine's Joan and Joel Smilow Research Center is opened and houses 9 dedicated programmatic areas: Cancer, Cardiovascular Biology, Dermatology/Cutaneous Biology, Genetics/Genomics/Proteomics, Medicine/Infectious Disease, Medicine/Renal Medicine, Microbial Pathogenesis, Integrated Neuroscience, and Stem Cell Biology.
The NYU Medical Center hosts the NYU School of Medicine, Tisch Hospital and the Howard A. Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine. Other NYU Medical Center affililates across the city include the Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute, the NYU Downtown Hospital and the Bellevue Hospital Center. The main NYU Medical Campus is located at the East River waterfront at 1st Ave. between 30th and 34th street.
List of deans
- John W. Draper, President of the Faculty (1850-1873)
- Alfred C. Post, President of the Faculty (1873-1877)
- Charles Inslee Pardee, Dean (1877-1897)
- Egbert Le Fevre, Acting Dean (1897-1898)
- Edward G. Janeway, Dean (1898-1905)
- Egbert Le Fevre, Dean (1905-1914)
- William H. Park, Acting Dean (1914-1915)
- Samuel A. Brown, Dean (1915-1932)
- John H. Wyckoff, Dean (1932-1937)
- Currier McEwen, Dean (1937-1955)
- Donal Sheehan, Acting Dean (1943-1954), Dean (1955-1960)
- S. Bernard Wortis, Dean (1960-1963)
- Saul J. Farber, Acting Dean (1963-1966)
- Lewis Thomas, Dean (1966-1969)
- Ivan L. Bennet Jr., Director-Dean (1970-1982)
- Saul J. Farber, Acting Dean (1979-1987), Dean (1987-1997)
- Noel L. Cohen, Interim Provost & Interim Dean (1997-1998)
- Robert M. Glickman, Dean (1998-2007)
- Robert I. Grossman, Dean (2007-
- Eric R. Kandel, Psychoanalyst, Psychiatrist, M.D. 1955, 2000 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Severo Ochoa, Professor 1942-1974, 1959 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Baruj Benacerraf, Immunologist, Professor 1956-1968, 1980 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Avram Hershko, Adjunct Professor 1998- , 2004 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Andrew J. Perlman, Researcher, MD. Ph.D., Executive VP, Tularik Inc.
- Henry Drury Hatfield, M.D., 1904, United States Senate (1929-1935)
- Arthur Agatston, Cardiologist, M.D., 1973, author of "The South Beach Diet"
- Frederick Cook, Explorer, M.D., 1890
- Albert Sabin, Medical researcher, M.D., 1931, developer of the oral vaccine for polio
- Stephen Smith, Physician, M.D., Founder, American Public Health Assiciation
- Jonas Salk, Medical researcher, M.D., 1938, discoverer of the Salk vaccine (the first polio vaccine)
- Martin J. Blaser, Professor, M.D., 1973
- William Howard Hay, 1891, Founded the The East Aurora Sun and Diet Sanatorium.
- Benjamin Kruskal, Pediatrician and infectious disease specialist, MD, 1988
- Frank Netter, Medical artist and author, MD, 1931
- Jan Vilcek Professor of Microbiology, inventor of Remicade (Anti-TNF Antibody)
- Rodolfo Llinas Professor of Physiology & Neuroscience
- David Sabitini Professor of Cell Biology
- John E. Sarno Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine
- Harry Ostrer Professor of Human Genetics, Jewish Geneticist
- William L. Goldberg Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of Emergency Medicine, and published author
- Lewis Goldfrank Professor of Emergency Medicine
- Enrico Fazzini, D.O., Professor of Neurology and expert on Parkinson's disease
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Cell Biology
- Emergency Medicine
- Environmental Medicine
- Medical Parasitology
- Neurological Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Ophthalmology
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Physiology and Neuroscience
- Radiation Oncology
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- NYU Medical Center / School of Medicine
- NYU School of Medicine / Library and Archives - Main Page
- NYU School of Medicine / Library and Archives - Alumni and Photograph Databases
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies