Müller glia, or Müller cells, are glia found in the vertebrate retina, which normally serve the functions of any normal glial cells. However, following injury to the retina, it has been seen that Müller glia undergo dedifferentiation into multipotent progenitor cells. At this point, the progenitor cell can divide and differentiate into a number of retinal cell types, including photoreceptors, that may have been damaged during injury. Additionally, recently published research has shown that Müller cells act as a light collector in the mammalian eye, analogous to a fiber optic plate, which funnels light to the rods and cone cells.
Müller glia are currently being studied in labs all over the United States as they are involved in neural regeneration, a phenomenon that does not occur in humans Template:Dubious. Published papers have studied Müller glia in both zebrafish and chicken retina, and further research could help towards solutions for the blind or visually impaired.
- Müller cells at Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
- Reichenbach A, Faude F, Enzmann V et al. (1997). "The Müller (glial) cell in normal and diseased retina: a case for single-cell electrophysiology". Ophthalmic Res. 29 (5): 326-40. PMID 9323724.
- Müller cells acting as light conductor at The Register, based on Franze et al., Müller cells are living optical fibers in the vertebrate retina, PNAS 104(20):8287–8292, 15 May 2007 | 10.1073/pnas.0611180104
- ↑ Fausett, BV and Goldman, D. A role for a1 tubulin-expressing Muller glia in regeneration of the injured zebrafish retina. J. Neurosci. 26: 6303-6313, 2006; Raymond, PA, et al. Molecular characterization of retinal stem cells and their niches in adult zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. Volume: 6, Issue: 2006, Date: 2006 09 12, Pages: 36
- ↑ Fischer, AJ. Müller glia are a potential source of neural regeneration in the postnatal chicken retina. Nat Neurosci. Volume: 4, Issue: Mar, Date: 2001 03 06, Pages: 247-52
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies