| Minute structure of thymus. Follicle of injected thymus from calf, four days old, slightly diagrammatic, magnified about 50 diameters. The large vessels are disposed in two rings, one of which surrounds the follicle, the other lies just within the margin of the medulla.|
A and B. From thymus of camel, examined without addition of any reagent. Magnified about 400 diameters.
A. Large colorless cell, containing small oval masses of hemoglobin. Similar cells are found in the lymph glands, spleen, and medulla of bone.
B. Colored blood corpuscles.
|Gray's||subject #274 1274|
The function of Hassall's corpuscles is currently unclear, and the absence of this structure in the murine thymus has restricted mechanistic dissection. It is known that Hassall's corpuscles are a potent source of the cytokine TSLP. In vitro, TSLP directs the maturation of dendritic cells, and increases the ability of dendritic cells to convert naive thymocytes to a Foxp3+ regulatory T cell lineage.  It is unknown if this is the physiological function of Hassall's corpuscles in vivo.
- * Watanabe N, Wang Y, Lee H, Ito T, Wang Y, Cao W, Liu Y (2005). "Hassall's corpuscles instruct dendritic cells to induce CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells in human thymus.". Nature 436 (7054): 1181-5. PMID 16121185.
- "Old mystery solved, revealing origin of regulatory T cells that 'police' and protect the body"
- synd/1912 at Who Named It
- UIUC Histology Subject 1247
- Histology at KUMC lymphoid-lymph03 "Hassall's Corpuscles"
- Histology at University of Southern California lymp/c_61
- Histology at OU 61_05 - "Thymus"
- Histology at Boston University 07407loa - "Lymphoid Tissues and Organs: thymus, Hassall's corpuscles"
Immune system: Lymphatic system (Lymph, Lymphocytes)
|Primary||Bone marrow – Thymus (Hassall's corpuscles)|
|Hilum – Trabeculae Trabecular arteries – Trabecular veins|
|Secondary: Lymph nodes|
(process extracellular fluid)
|Afferent lymph vessels - Cortical sinuses - Medullary sinuses - Efferent lymph vessels Lymph node trabeculae|
|GALT – Peyer's patches – Germinal center|
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies