Ankylosing spondylitis history and symptoms
Ankylosing spondylitis Microchapters
Ankylosing spondylitis history and symptoms On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Ankylosing spondylitis history and symptoms
Ankylosing spondylitis is a form of arthritis which is progressive and painful .In ankylosing spondylitis some or all of the joints and bones of the spine fuse together and causes pain and restriction of the movement of the spine.The spinal involvement is more extensive in ankylosing spondylitis (AS).Ankylosing spondylitis symptoms can range from back pain and stiffness and in long term it can lead to disability.Although cause of ankylosing spondylitis is unknown but mostly it is associated with genetic marker called HLA-B27.
History and Symptoms
- Inflammatory back pain due to:
- Peripheral arthritis
- Anterior uveitis
Common symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis include:
- Hip pain upon waking especially in the morning
- Back pain relieved by movement
- Difficulty flexing the spine due to fusion of the spine
- Difficulty taking a deep breath due to decreased chest expansion
- Swelling of knees
Less Common Symptoms
Less common symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis include:
- Monnet D, Breban M, Hudry C, Dougados M, Brézin AP (April 2004). "Ophthalmic findings and frequency of extraocular manifestations in patients with HLA-B27 uveitis: a study of 175 cases". Ophthalmology. 111 (4): 802–9. PMID 15051216. doi:10.1016/j.ophtha.2003.07.011.
- Gran JT, Skomsvoll JF (July 1997). "The outcome of ankylosing spondylitis: a study of 100 patients". Br. J. Rheumatol. 36 (7): 766–71. PMID 9255111.
- Burgos-Vargas R, Pacheco-Tena C, Vázquez-Mellado J (2002). "A short-term follow-up of enthesitis and arthritis in the active phase of juvenile onset spondyloarthropathies". Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 20 (5): 727–31. PMID 12412210.
- Amor B, Santos RS, Nahal R, Listrat V, Dougados M (October 1994). "Predictive factors for the longterm outcome of spondyloarthropathies". J. Rheumatol. 21 (10): 1883–7. PMID 7837155.
- Wordsworth BP, Mowat AG (May 1986). "A review of 100 patients with ankylosing spondylitis with particular reference to socio-economic effects". Br. J. Rheumatol. 25 (2): 175–80. PMID 3708234.