Americans United for Life
Americans United for Life is an American pro-life organization which is based in Chicago, Illinois. Founded in 1971, the group aims to protect the rights of fetuses in utero, and is also involved in other issues related to health and biotechnology. Their motto is, "Changing Law to Protect Human Life, State by State".
Issues of focus and activism
According to their website, the group is interested in topics that include:
- Abortion clinic regulation
- Rights of conscience of health care workers
- Parental notification regarding a child's medical decisions
- Protecting fetuses from feticide
- Informing women of the proposed health risks of abortion
- Human cloning and embryonic stem cell research
- Assisted suicide and euthanasia
- Genetic engineering
- Reproductive technologies
Baby Gender Mentor
The group has also taken a stand against an early-pregnancy gender detection kit called the Baby Gender Mentor. The concern is that learning the gender at such an early point may lead some parents to terminate the pregnancy if they were hoping for a baby of the opposite sex to that indicated by the test. Americans United for Life claims that some women disappointed by the result of their test would find it easier to have an abortion if they get the results early. Their spokesman Daniel McConchie said, "Women who are interested in only having one gender will be finding out in a time when it's certainly safer for them to have an abortion without the complications normally associated with those that would come later in pregnancy."
- ↑ Americans United for Life. (n.d.) Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- ↑ Americans United for Life. (n.d.) "News Media." Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- ↑ Democrats for Life of America. (September 20, 2006). "Pro life Democrats endorse Lincoln Davis abortion reduction bill at press conference today." Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- ↑ Langton, James. (October 7, 2005). "Revolutionary foetus sex test raises eugenics fears." London Telegraph. Retrieved January 19, 2006.
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies