Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu
| Aga Khan Hospital|
Aga Khan Health Services
|Place||Kisumu, Nyanza Province, (KE)|
|Affiliated University||Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi and Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi|
|See also||Hospitals in Kenya|
List of Aga Khan Hospitals
Established in 1952, the Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu is a 76-bed acute care facility offering quality health care. The Hospital provides general medicine services, specialist clinics and high-tech diagnostic services and has a well-equipped 24 hour emergency Casualty Department. It is part of the Aga Khan Health Services international referral system with links to Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi and Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi.
The foundation for the Aga Khan Dispensary and Maternity Home was laid on February 26, 1951 by Prince Aly Khan, and the facility opened in 1952 as an 8-bed general ward.
In 1960, the dispensary was extended to incorporate two general wards with a total of 17 beds and an outpatient department. A small laboratory was established in 1975 and a portable X-ray machine purchased. Patient activity levels continued to increase. By 1979, the average bed occupancy was over 100 percent, which indicated a need for expansion.
In 1991, the hospital had 55 beds, piped oxygen gas was available, an administration block was completed and physiotherapy services were introduced. By 1992 the bed capacity had increased to 76 with a paediatric ward, a VIP wing and an acute care unit.
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies